Low cost install??

Hi

I was thinking about a minimal cost electrical install...

  1. Just have one single socket for the whole place.

  1. Omit fuse box,

2.5 omit fuse in plug.

  1. Lights, wire them on bellwire

  2. Appliances, wire them all direct in, no need for plugs.

  1. Omit Earth

  2. Omit all Fuses but one at the supply.

  1. Omit RCD.

What do you think of an installation like this? Do you think anyone has ever done such?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sounds like the old wiring in The Pub in Rose Street Edinburgh. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

for extra saving u could always run the bell wire next door and tap into there kiddies game boy, or there phone charger, only use pink coloured bell wire though as they may spot it else regards

Reply to
burbeck

snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote in news:1116028388.008196.147730 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

My previous owner used bellwire, and tapped in to a power circuit; I hesitate to say "ring" - that area is still very confusing.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

No doubt *some* Travellers with their caravan and a nearby council street light.

Reply to
Adrian C

I'll give it another day before responding :)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Oh yes. I went to his funeral.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure they have and, AIUI, if it was from a private generator it would even be compliant with Part P :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Your detailed description suggests that you've actually come across such an "installation". Have you?

Reply to
Set Square

It must have been a ring if it was wired with bell wire.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reply to
dale hammond

Sounds OK if that is all you need, (if the place is small, your vacuum cleaner has a really long lead, or you have a central cleaning system, or maybe you don't vacuum!)

With just one socket, you probably don't need to bother with one I suppose

Just like the do in Europe

Should be OK, make sure you use the bell wire used on a bell that would draw about 30A

This can be done, as long as you don't need to move them about

This is fine, just make sure you entire house is isolated from the earth and bond everything metal together, including the central protective conductor on the wire connected to your socket and fixed appliances.

You may be able to get them to fit you a 20A one if you ask

As long as the socket wont be used for anything in the garden, this should be fine

It does sound a little but restrictive, but if it is all you need, the go for it!

Reply to
Sparks

What's the advantage?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Frank Erskine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you have a coat - I can't seem to find it?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Wouldn't cost much I spose, would it?.

C'mon NT, tell us all about it then...!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

He gets the insurance money when his 'other half' turns on the cooker and drops a pan on the hob :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Yes. We're waiting ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

exactly.

OK, I do know someone that has an install like this, no exaggeration. Havent seen it yet. Have been trying to convert them to the novel idea of appliance plugs. It turns out this is standard practice in a certain area. Guess where...

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Basildon?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

exaggeration.

Africa. Its standard installation practice. The 2 reported problems are the tendency for the mains plugs to go bang, and need replacing, and the tendency for nasty electric shocks.

I was wondering... would it be part p compliant?

NT

Reply to
bigcat