Long arm for picking up rubble

Something else I thought of - smash the bricks up by dropping an iron weight on a rope. Then suck up all the rubble with an industrial vacuum.

Reply to
Jason

The more I read, the more I am being convinced that I need to get out my big drill, set to hammer, and smash it all out from below.

Reply to
Jason

That would certainly work if I smashed the bricks up with a weight on rope.

Also an extra long cable hook like the kind they use to catch rabid dogs - kind of like a tube with a cable down the middle that is fixed at the far end, and can be pulled tight when it wraps around a brick.

Reply to
Jason

...then I get to pull it halfway up, the claw opens, the brick drops, and I have to put another quid in the slot.

Reply to
Jason

They would need to be about 18 months to be small enough to lower down on a rope. I could start training the neighbour's six-month old baby now, I guess...the chimney needs cleaning too.

Reply to
Jason

I am going to be in real trouble with my partner after I take down half the living room wall to recover the child from behind, after the rope comes off.

Reply to
Jason

Shades of Hoffnung.

Reply to
polygonum

There was a time when it would have been a small child on a rope.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Drain rods ending with a scoop something like a big bent spoon. Alternatively, a cone-shaped bedspring you can screw onto the brick.

Medical long-reach grippers for removing objects from children's throats are a sort of inverted Y whose tail you pull up the tube to close the V bit. Could you make something similar on the end of a hosepipe?

In any case, don't try to do the full lift with the gripper -- just use it to lift the brick into a basket on a rope. If the bricks are really loosely packed, you might just be able to push them sideways into the basket with a long rod. But doing anything at the end of a long rod is never easy.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

It would be relatively easy to chop out a few bricks... those Armeg brick removing chisels work quite well for neatly removing bricks. A diamond of four bricks ought to enable decent access, and would be self supporting, so you could leave it open for future use (with cover if you want).

Reply to
John Rumm