Locked out of own house-----almost

Can anyone please advise best course of action when a mortice lock fails in the locked position ? Have a 5 lever ERA mortice lock on front door in addition to standard Yale rimlock. Locked the front door behind me this morning and it seemed a bit stiff and tonight it will not reopen. However hard I turn the key the bolt will not return and so door is effectively permanently locked. Have gained access to house and tried all spare keys including almost brand new spare ones with no success.

Any tips on how to retract the bolt ?

As we have another lockable exit door I have the luxury of not having to panic and cut lock out of door or frame. Yellow pages is full of Locksmiths with 24 hrs callout. Can any of these----local or national---be recommended ? Will my buildings insurance help me if I have to employ someone to reopen the door ? All advice gratefully received.

John Chapman

Reply to
John Chapman

Worth trying, since you have time...

It may be that one of the pins has stuck in the 'up position (above its 'unlocked' position) and was pushed there as you withdrew the key last time. You could try some powdered graphite puffed into the lock, then move the key rapidly in and out and hope the pin drops back.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't you know how to do a search of the site or are you really serious when you said you were in no hurry. Or are you just stupid and/or lazy?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

WD 40 has been known to work, and pressing teh door aginst its seal to take pressure off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not quite clear how this helps me to get my door unlocked. Am really serious and clearly not as proficient as your goodself. Would you care to advise me please on how to search the site, knowledge which I currently do not possess ? Thanks John Chapman

Reply to
John Chapman

have you tried putting a wedge under the door to lift it a little ?

Reply to
Chris Oates

In message , John Chapman writes

And which site would this be anyway, uk.d-i-y being a newsgroups, not a website (though you may view it using a web page)

Reply to
chris French

On 19/01/2004 John Chapman opined:-

If all the other suggestions fail to help and as a last resort, you might consider grinding off the hinge pins and punching them out. That would allow you to open the door at the hinge side and give access to the lock without breaking the door or frame. Replacement hinges are cheap enough.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Google Groups> uk.diy> search this site> locks> etc

Punch out the hinge pins with a 4" nail. Bend the knobbly bits on the hinge leaves that are stiil fixed (to the frame) out of the way. Prepare to catch the door and have someone tap it through. This is presuming you have ordinary old fashioned hinges and no bolts or studs sticking in the bottom, top or hinge side of the door.

The alternative is an hacksaw, use wedges to give yourself more room. A door is about 45 mm thick so you might use a jig saw on packers to do it. Again you need to get more room to work by separating the hinge leaves. Good luck.

Sorry I was little short with you.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

This would be my first try push/pull lift/lower the door, your shoulder or the handle will be enough) whilst trying to operate the lock. It doesn't take much friction at all to stop the bolt sliding back.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi John,

If you can't free the lock, the hinge should be accessible from the inside of the house, you may be able to drive the pins upwards, using a suitable drift, out of the hinges and lift the door out of the entrance. You will then be able to remove the lock.

Bill

Reply to
BillP

Yes. In this case I'd certainly try soaking it in WD 40 as I'd be replacing it - or stripping it down to see what the problem is anyway. But if it *does* work, the WD40 needs to be cleaned out afterwards as it will quickly attract dirt and jam the lock again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Won't work if the bolt has a pair of rollers in it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

= Cack. A cheap builder's lock

Like people have said, rock it roll it and jiggle it about. If you get it open don't lock it again. However internal parts can physically break. :-( Try asking on the locksmithing newsgroup. Yes, there is one.

It's what they do. But phone them they may be able to make suggestions, I went along to one of them with a problematic Chubb 7 lever deadlatch and they spotted it as I went through the door, saying they were always being called out by people locked out with these locks, but the 5 lever in the same body was fine.

No, it's a maintenance issue. Not an insurable event. But if you were to find your keys had been stolen...

Chubb *5* lever. :-)

DG

Reply to
derek