Lock question

Right all...here is a poser for you.

I need to fit a lock to a door that will alow a user to lock the door when they leave and open a door on thier return. however, it mustnt allow them to lock themselves in and needs to have some sort of hold off system for if not needed.

Any sugestions? a standard night latch is no good, cus they can easily lock themselves in. one solution is a mortice nightlatch with hidden snib for overriding the latch altogether...but these are expensive...over £45 each! i need 2.

Any sugestions?

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:14:25 +0100, r.p.mcmurphy wrote (in article ):

You could consider a mortice latch with Euro key and turn cylinder.

If you look in the various sections under

will find various types of lock case that will accept a Euro cylinder. Some of the better ones have a projecting lever to prevent somebody doing a credit card job with the latch and opening it. Others have a little latch lever which can be slid across to hold the latch open.

THen for cylinders have a look at

I think that overall this comes close to what you describe. There is a security downside that if the door is breakable glass then a miscreant can smash it and easily open the handle without any need for a key.

On the other hand, perhaps the safety aspect is more important in this application.?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm maybe misunderstanding this but how about a deadlock with a keyhole only on the outside.

Reply to
Scabbydug

A little more info...door must be lockable from outside, but must be operable from inside if locked out side...so knowone can get locked in on purpose

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

Padlock and Hasp ?

or mortice lock with metal plate under the 'inner' keyhole so the user can't lock it from the inside.

Reply to
OG

the only problem here seems to be if the door was locked from inside, and the person became unable to unlock the door i.e. became confused/non compliant they'd be locked in.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 23:04:41 +0100, R.P.McMurphy wrote (in article ):

What do you mean by "locked in" in this context, Steve?

If you think about the typical "Yale" type of night latch, then the person can lock themselves in, e.g. the handle on the inside can be locked with a key to prevent it being turned if someone breaks the glass and reaches through. However, the lock can still be unlocked from the outside with a key.

With the solution I described, they let themselves in with a key as usual, but there is specifically not a lock on the inside, so they can't deadlock the latch and can still get out by turning the knob. Also on this design, the little lever for holding the latch open is on the mortice below or above the latch. It can't be operated in a way that will prevent the knob opening the door from the inside.

Obviously there is a security implication of that in that it is open to someone smashing the glass; but I imagine that's the second consideration here and it's more important to have an easy to use escape route etc.

If I'm missing what you mean, please can you explain in more detail.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "R.P.McMurphy" contains these words:

Our front door does this - the only thing it won't do is defeat the lock completely. You can always open it from the inside (unless you've double locked it with the key) but you always need the key from outside.

Reply to
Guy King

Steve,

If I read you correctly, you want something that can be locked from outside using a key --- and a knob inside that can be used to lock or unlock the door simply by turning --- and it must be of the 'deadlock' type type prevent the door accidently locking if the wind etc pushes it shut? This type of deadlock system is common on OAP complexes.

Have a look at the following URL:

if there is a problem with the wrap use:

scroll down the page until you come to:

Union J-26 X 19 - BB Key and Turn Cylinder and this, along with the accompanying deadlock is what you require OR:

Type into google advanced search:

Key and Turn Cylinder --- (and you will find 14 hits of what you possibly want)

OR:

Nip down to your local builders merchant (not the D-I-Y sheds) and ask them if you can look at their lock catalogues (they may even give you one) and you should find what you want.

Hope this helps

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G