Limiting shower flow

We have mains shower off combi boiler and the flow rate is quite high due to high mains pressure. I've measure about 9 l/min.

I'm looking at reducing the flow rate and have found for instance this screw in flow limiter

Any views, comments, alternates?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Yes - I think you'll like this:

Part # 17527

You can replace the isolator(s) with this and select a cartridge to adjust the flow rate as you wish.

I have several to stop water splash back in the basins due to high mains pressure.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I 'regulate' the mains pressure (okay, flow) throughout the house by only opening the mains c*ck by something like three quarters of a turn (also means I can cut it off very quickly, if necessary). Can anyone here tell me if that's a bad way of going about it? It has never caused me any problems, but maybe there's something I've missed?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Not really - except it can generate noise at the valve.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh, right. Fortunately, it doesn't do that here.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

This is the sort of thing water companies give away free - well, it's included in the bills, at least. For example:

You'll have to check your own supplier.

Reply to
GB

These work well and do not create noise. Others will be available, sold as Economisers. Easy to fit - or remove.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You can fit a pressure limiting valve straight after the stop c*ck.

Some appliances (in our case a water softener) have a maximum safe working pressure and require a limiting valve if pressure is any higher.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

6 bar is quite a common max pressure for things like inline water heaters.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I fitted a "Mira Eco" shower head some 10(?) years ago with the intention of being able to run 2 showers off the combi at the same time.

On the product chart is shows a flow of around 6.5(ish) litres per minute at 2 bar but it's a very flat line from about 4 litres at 0.5 bar.

Just seen this line in the booklet: "To cap the flow rate at a maximum of 7 litres per minute, or to reduce any vibration caused by certain water systems, an optional flow regulator is provided. If required, install the flow regulator between the shower outlet and the hose, as illustrated."

Had to fit the reducer washer in ours as it did indeed vibrate without it. (running around 3.5 to 4 bar)

The real benefit of the shower head is it whacks a load of air in with the water so a low flow still makes for a shower that has the apparent water volume of a high flow.

Ignore the manufacturers price. I think I picked one up for around £17 on fleabay. Highly recommend it.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Thanks all for replies. A couple of comments - I don't want to reduce pressure throughout the house and especially where the outside taps/hoses are so turning down the stop c*ck or putting a pressure limiter in line at the input is not a preferred solution.

Plumbing at the shower is all behind boards so can't get there.

So for the moment I have taken up the advice of several here to get a free shower flow regulator and preliminary tests show a 15% reduction in flow rate. If after a while we feel that isn't enough I'm tempted to go for an adjustable device:

AnthonyL

At one place with a new combi, the boiler goes out if shower flow is reduced.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr