Lifting heavy couch through first floor window

Hi,

How would we go about lifting a large couch ~40kg through a first floor apartment window ~4m above street level? There are no lifting beams or secure points where we could attach a pully or similar. We are thinking of renting some equipment and do the lifting ourselves. Just neet to get a platform or similar to the first floor window.

We have considered renting a Lift Table, Scissor Lift, Boom Lift, Access Platform, Cherry Picker, even a Fork Lift, but the prices we have been quoted have been high for a residential rental.

We will need the reverse done in a year or two when we move out again.

Who does this kind of thing? Any advice?

Regards, Lad

Reply to
Laddie_In_A_Stitch

Forgot to add, we are in the Camberley area.

Regards, Lad

Reply to
Laddie_In_A_Stitch

Thats teh price you pay for un-disassemblable furniture in a flat, mate.

Burly men with beery breath and no respect for your property, usually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it will actually fit through the opening then brute force and ignorance should do it. You can sometimes slide things up a ladder and then manhandle with rope etc. Perhaps have someone on the street incase it falls .

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

???

Reply to
Grunff

normanwisdom wrote

To catch it?

Or to video it and maybe get =A3250 back from YBF?

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Ive done that for heavy items needed on a roof..slid them on pallets up ladders.. Probably that's how I got that double hernia..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it was up to me the couch could stay in the reception area, perfect for those mornings when stumbling in and the stairs seem just too damn much to bother with. Wife disagrees :-)

Have opened the bottom to see if there is any way to partly dissassemble, but seems that everything was whacked together by someone with too much time, glue, screws, nails, and rope at hand.

The stairway is not narrow, just has an impossible bend in it.

Through the window it must go then...

Reply to
Laddie_In_A_Stitch

Might go if you run at it

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Two strong people used to ladders, two ladders and a person or two to help it through the window into the room.

Or as has been mentioned, a way of sliding/pulling it up.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Try a company called RPH in Redhill. Sorry, don't have a number but they should be in YP. No point in a Google search, they are Plymouth Brethren.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

My sister got the cricket team round, showed them a room full of booze and grub and told them it was all theirs once the piano, the sofa, the bookshelves (and contents) etc were upstairs. Or downstairs, I forget which.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Grunff contains these words:

They won't 'arf catch it!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Cor - my grandma was one of them. Mind you, she used to believe in a flat earth and taped over unused mains sockets to stop the electricity leaking out.

Reply to
Guy King

You might not have go around the bend. Can you move it up the first leg as far as possible then lift it over the bannisters to the next leg and "reverse" up that leg? Repeat as may times as required depending on the staircase. That's how I got a very long peice of kitchen work surface up to my last flat.

Having a couple of strong (and tall) friends is what is required as you need at least 3 people. One waiting on leg #2 to "catch" the couch, one on the landing between the two legs and the third person at the "bottom" of leg #1 lifting the couch up. Add more lifters depending on the weight.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

Deffo no bolts and them threaded things that have teeth and you hammer in to a hole in the then screw the arms of the couch to the main part ??????

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks, will try anything at this stage.

Regards, Lad

Reply to
Laddie_In_A_Stitch

We tried over an hour in every which way imaginable, and even some ways probably not entirely safe as a last resort. No go.

Can't say we tried you way, so will give it a go thanks.

Reply to
Laddie_In_A_Stitch

If you've tried every other way and failed, it would be cheaper and simpler to get rid of it and buy a new one that fits....I can't imagine that if it's too big to fit through a standard doorway/stairway, it will slide effortlessly through a window, unless you intend taking the frame out?

Reply to
Phil L

If you can use ladders then you could make a moveable crane type structure - slide it out through the (open) window winch the sofa up then draw it back in. 40kg isn't a lot of weight.

Reply to
adder1969