Lifting heavy couch through first floor window

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:29:16 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

Should I be glad or disappointed that I don't have Sky <spit> because of my loathing for the dirty digger? Given that they are doing an animated Hogfather, that is.
OTOH all the other animations were pants even though they were done by Cosgrove Hall.
Steve Firth wrote

This one's live-action. David Jason as Albert, Marc Warren as Teatime and Peter Richardson as Death.
Oh, and Pterry has a small part.
--
-blj-

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:21:14 -0000, Brian L Johnson wrote:

Oh righto, thanks. I suppose it will eventually move to one of the channels I can receive.
Johnson wrote:

How do you know? <FNARR Fnarr> (The Toymaker in The Toyshop, IIRC. I can't remember the actual character's name, and the wife has pilfered my copy of the book.)
--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Get a friend who does pay the Despicable Digger to put it onto video tape for you and buy said friend a beer. As you down your beers, contemplate how little the Digger is getting for the extra eyes watching it. Then cut out the adverts and post it onto a BitTorrent site somewhere, so the Digger gets an even lower payback per eyeballing.
--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

But how is someone who rents out office space going to help?

Tried this evening, no go. Not enough clearance over the bannister where it bends, where we need it most, naturally. Almost feels this was by design and someone out there is having a good laugh...
Laddie_In_A_Stitch wrote:

Can you get a carpenter to take the bannisters out?
Some sensible people built their bannisters with removable sections for this purpose.
Owain

Deffo no bolts and them threaded things that have teeth and you hammer in to a hole in the then screw the arms of the couch to the main part ??????

My sister got the cricket team round, showed them a room full of booze and grub and told them it was all theirs once the piano, the sofa, the bookshelves (and contents) etc were upstairs. Or downstairs, I forget which.
--
Skipweasel
Laddie_In_A_Stitch wrote:

Two strong people used to ladders, two ladders and a person or two to help it through the window into the room.
Or as has been mentioned, a way of sliding/pulling it up.
Steve
Laddie_In_A_Stitch wrote:

If you've tried every other way and failed, it would be cheaper and simpler to get rid of it and buy a new one that fits....I can't imagine that if it's too big to fit through a standard doorway/stairway, it will slide effortlessly through a window, unless you intend taking the frame out?
Laddie_In_A_Stitch wrote:

If you can use ladders then you could make a moveable crane type structure - slide it out through the (open) window winch the sofa up then draw it back in. 40kg isn't a lot of weight.
adder1969 wrote:

It sounds like you need a Dutch removal team! Back to reality though, I had a similar problem and the solution involved paying an upholsterer to partially dismantle the sofa, move it and re-assemble it. He wasn't best impressed by the construction - it was a Chinese import unknown to us when we saw it in the showroom, but he did a fantastic job and you wouldn't be able to tell anything had been done. Mark.
MJS wrote:

Tried this myself, most of the timber is bolted, nailed, and glued. The glue really limits things, but I'm considering cutting through it as a last resort maybe.
Also considering a Genie Lift if I can find one locally on hire, should be around 30.
A friend mentioned scaffolding with platforms stepped at 1.5 and 3 meters, we can lift the last meter through the window.

In case anyone is still interested, we finally have the couch in our apartment. It was a surprisingly easy job in the end using a Genie Lift SL18 rented from a local tool hire shop. Simply loaded the couch onto the forklift type arms, then moved the genie lift (it has wheels) under the window, slowly lifted the couch to to the required height, then while someone pulled the couch in through the inside of the window I simultaneoulsy moved the lift right up against the wall as far as it would go. Once the couch was a quarter or so inside it was easy to lift it off the lift and through the window (from the inside). Job done.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Have a happy Christmas.