[?] Lifted veneer on a table - what to do now.

Hello,

We have a large teak-veneered wood dining table on the centre of which, when it is not being used for meals, we have been placing a small pot of (real) flowers. Unfortunately some water from a recent watering has soaked into the table and caused its veneer to bubble up slightly, close to its centre.

Hindsight is wonderful - we shouldn't have allowed this to happen, of course, but now that it has, can anyone in this NG tell me if there is anything I can do to improve the situation and get the raised veneer to go back down again?

If it's a job than can only be done by a professional carpenter or furniture restorer, I'm curious to know how they would go about doing it and if it's likely to be an expensive job?

Many TIA - Dave

Reply to
David Chapman

I'm reminded of this old advert

no help.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Umm. Depending on the glue used, you can use PVA. let it dry, and iron the veneer back down...PVA sort of works like a hot melt glue..

OR use a heavy flat weight,. a sheet of polythene, and superglue.

You will need to strip and refinish most if not all of the surface to repair properly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Drill through from underneath *very carefully*, inject some glue and compress with a heavy weight ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson