leylandi poisoning ?

The people next door to me were evidently told to take down a fence after I complained to the council.. She's now put a row of the dreaded leylandi there.. Is there any thing I can do to stop them growing to quickly / big ? Can you poison them or somthing or shall I just keep them well pruned onto their side ?

Reply to
srp

Up to your side, not onto theirs - to be strictly accurate. And of course you can poison them, they are after all plants. However, poisoning them will be a criminal offence of course.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

and being guilty of an offence is merely a technical relationship between the accused and the evidence, or lack therof.

Reply to
.

heh I don't want to kill the things, however I am somewhat sceptical that they will be properly maintained . I would image they'll start looking pretty awful once I start cutting off the big branches that come over my side :( If I can just slow them down a bit, glyphosate you say ?

Reply to
srp

lop the tops off at the required height

Reply to
.

I'm pretty sure there has been some new legislation introduced to combat the problem of leylandii neighbours.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

hicks

What was your complaint based on ?

Reply to
Stuart

|The people next door to me were evidently told to take down a fence |after I complained to the council.. She's now put a row of the dreaded |leylandi there.. Is there any thing I can do to stop them growing to |quickly / big ? Can you poison them or somthing or shall I just keep |them well pruned onto their side ?

AFAIK, IANAL, there is now a law in England and Wales which limits hedges to ?10? ft.

Ask the council about it *now* they can exceed 10 ft in no time flat.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Try

as well

Reply to
Colin Wilson

in the title deeds the front lawns are designated as open plan, they had a horrid rough wooden fence about 5 foot tall... I will have to go back to the council and see if they'll get them to remove the trees, although I shoudl really point out the problem to my neighbours 1st maybe.

Reply to
srp

Bugger all this mamby pamby stuff...How do you poison them?

P.S Copper sulphate, glyphosate. Sodium hypochlorate and Diesel dont work.....even in combination!!

Reply to
ogglet

Diesel + match?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

A copper nail hammered into the trunk and clipped off level then punched in and the hole made good with dirt will do the trick.

So I've heard ...

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

"ogglet" wrote in news:4540ef8d$0$8727$ed2619ec@ptn- nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Drill a downward facing hole; introduce SBK/paraffin mix.

That's according to instructions on SBK bottle.

mike

Reply to
mike

"Mr Fitzpatrick, a minister in the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, said: "This legislation offers a light at the end of the tunnel for people whose lives have been made a misery from high hedges.

"Out of control hedges can block the daylight from neighbours' homes and gardens, becoming a real drain on their quality of life. "

Funny how the same deputy prime minister wants to get builders sticking

20 rabit hut^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h "affordable homes" to the acre... wonder how much quality of life daylight they can expect!
Reply to
John Rumm

Is this "open plan" rule observed in general by all the local properties?

I would have thought so!

Reply to
John Rumm

'no answer' came the stern reply

All this smacks of a busybody with nothing better to do...why complain about a fence just because it 'says so in the deeds'? - petty mindedness springs to mind, and I'll wager that others in the area have erected fences / hedges

Reply to
Phil L

You might be right...

I must admit, that if I had someone go whinging to the council about something I was doing, without first at least mentioning it to me, I would not be that inclined to treat their concerns with much sympathy.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have noted, apropos of nothing, that where I have a slight heating oil leak, the nearby conifer has died..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher