Less power with lights ON !!!!!!!

I've just changed twelve GU10 45w spotlight bulbs in my office for a mixture of 30 and 60 led GU10 one left over from a house re-furb. That particular circuit has an 'electricity monitor' hooked on it, and putting the lights on previously put up the consumption indicated by about 350 watts (I know it should be 12 x 45 = 540 watts but 3 were blown so 9 x 45 = 405 so nearer the mark)

Now when I switch the lights on the indicated consumption DROPS by about 20 watts !!!!!!! I presume that this is a power factor issue ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Now you've done it, the halogen-lovers will seize on that as an excuse to try to force everyone to use them!

Reply to
Davey

Well possibly... they may well be a small non PFC load, and probably capacitive. However you would only expect that to improve the PF of the circuit if there was some inductive lagging element to the load in the first place. What else is there on it?

It might just be an artefact of the metering system not coping with non sinusoidal current loads.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Davey writes

You could argue that if you used enough of these lights, you would be saving so much electricity that you could actually be feeding power back into the grid!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Harry probably would argue that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The 'harry effect' :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What would be the expensive subsidy for doing that ;-)

Reply to
Terry Fields

Four desktop PC's (Compac / HP) and a Panasonic DBS telephone exchange, a few hubs, and a pond pump

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Well the pond pump is probably an induction motor... if its big enough it may cause the effect you are seeing. Especially if the PCs are modern ones with PFC in their PSUs.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't have any halogen lamps. CFLs and LEDs.

I will go all LED when these LED corn cob lights come down a bit.

Reply to
harryagain

It IS the pond pump as was suggested by another is a previous reply - timer now turned it off at this time of night and without that inductive load the led lights now indicate an increase of 20 ish watts - stll only about half whatv you'd expect (12 x 4W = 48W)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson