Legionella in vented system?

He meant insects.

I don't think insects carry the bacteria into the water, the bacteria are in the mains supply. Insect remains in the water would provide nutrients.

Reply to
Aidan

No. They cannot be "sealed circulation systems". The cooling is achgieved by evaporating water to the atmosphere and so they are inherently prone to contamination from the environment.

Aidan

They can't. Look again. In a UK climate they certainly can, and are.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Extract from the Wikipedia article;

"Cooling towers are evaporative coolers used for cooling water or other working medium to near the ambient wet-bulb air temperature. Cooling towers use evaporation of water to reject heat from processes such as cooling the circulating water used in oil refineries and power plants, building cooling, or chemical reactions, for example."

You cannot have a sealed evaporative cooler. It is a contradiction in terms. Drivel, you're wrong. Your persistent wrongness is tedious.

Find a link to a manufacturer of sealed cooling towers.

Reply to
Aidan

The difference is that the primary mechanism is no longer believed to be normal inhalation of aerosols. Instead, it is now thought to be aspiration of infected water present in the mouth during coughing or choking.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Oh no, Wikipedia. In buildings they are sealed. They don't want sprays emanating from rooftops. Happened in London and people died.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Dec 10, 4:52 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote: Oh no, Wikipedia. In buildings they are sealed. They don't want sprays

Drivel, you are confused; this happens regularly because you are an idiot.

Many public bodies and corporations have stopped using cooling towers and instead are using less efficient air cooled chillers.

Many buildings in London still use roof-top evaporative cooling towers; I was at one last week that had three.

The chiller is cooled by water, the water is cooled by an evaporative cooling tower.

I had invited you to "Find a link to a manufacturer of sealed cooling towers."

You cannot. There are none.

Reply to
Aidan

Just what I would like for my old tank - no joy with google though - any pointers to supplier?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:52:10 -0000 someone who may be "Doctor Drivel" wrote this:-

While I share your reservations about Wikipedia you are wrong in your assertion of "sealed water circulation systems" in buildings. It is an elementary mistake which can be corrected by studying the basic texts on the subject.

FSVO "they". When uninformed people are panicking about the subject that is the sort of thing they ask for. More informed people understand that it is more complex and that, provided maintenance is undertaken properly, the risk to anyone is minimal.

I think you are referring to the BBC case. More recent is the Barrow-in-Furness case, where twice as many died. In the latter case the courts failed to hold the person responsible to account, a council architect who had stopped maintenances on the cooling towers for some months and then set up a new contract that didn't include maintaining the water. Given that level of incompetence it's surprising more people didn't die.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:42:58 GMT someone who may be Geo wrote this:-

Any of them, including large orange tin sheds.

Reply to
David Hansen

You'll probably have difficulty retofitting a new lid to an old tank. All the other bits are available from every plumber's merchant.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Any plumbers' merchant. In theory, the overflow ought to be 1" these days, but almost all are still 3/4" and the Water Bye-Law kits are all made to fit that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You are dumb Jocko, and know sweet FA about most things. Probably Jockos are dying in the droves up there because of incompetence by the likes of him.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Gosh! So that is what those thing did when I designed the controls for them? Gosh!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You've been Googling for 6 hours and you still haven't found a link with details of a sealed cooling tower?

Keep looking, Drivel, please.

Reply to
Aidan

In your dreams Jocko.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

At last! Someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to Legionella in domestic circumstances. I started a thread some time ago regarding the dangers of imported, low quality, EPDM cored Flexible tap hoses that have been proven by Dr Tom Makin of Liverpool University to harbour Legionella growing on biofilms on the EPDM rubber. I was well flamed for my thread.

Reply to
Merryterry

My recollection is that you had some commercial interest in the WRAS approved flexible hoses. Your post came across as yet more spam, rather than as altruistic advice and spam does tend to get flamb=E9ed around here.

Reply to
Aidan

Oh, spam the same as a tyre fitter saying 'I wouldnt advise those ultra cheap, non-rated, car tyres from an unknown manufacturer in China, I would suggest these fully rated tyres from a well known manufacturer. It could cost you your life if the cheapies go wrong'

Thats not spam to me. that is commonsense.

Reply to
Merryterry

Yes, they often say things like that; translated from the Ripoffian dialect, it usually means; "We recommend these tyres to everyone because we get the biggest profit margin on them."

Ditto the recommended wine, the dish of the day, etc.

So, do you have an interest in WRAS approved flexi connectors?

Would you happen to know who funded Dr Makin's research? Not, of course, that it would have any bearing on the results.

How would a layman know the difference?

Reply to
Aidan