Vented Heating System Q

Hi all

Ok so this all started cos my lad reported scaley orange stuff coming from the shower. I have since used the same shower without issue, as has er indoors. The feeds to this shower are both plastic with the cold off a loft storage tank and the hot from an essex flange in the indirect cylinder. The shower is an aqualisa aquastream (the pump for this hasn't worked for years we just use it as a feeble gravity shower). As usual I am fearing the worst, that there is a hole in the cylinder coil and that boiler/heating water is escaping into the cylinder along with other nasties. So - the question - the header tank for the ch is sat on the same support as the 2 domestic water storage tanks. Therefore the water level in the storage tanks is above that in the ch header tank. If there was a hole in the coil I would expect water to "leak" into the heating circuit and back-fill the ch header tank (to try to make the levels the same in all tanks). This doesn't appear to be happening. There is some gungy stuff on the surface of the ch header tank, but I believe this is a bacterial scum that is unrelated. Do other members of the group agree with my logic re: tank levels confirming no hole in coil? Does limescale/crud break off from the cylinder wall and occasionally appear at showers?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Easiest way to find out is to bung a marker dye in the header tank and see what comes out of the shower?

Reply to
ericp

wrote

Won't that cause indelible marks to baths, showers, sinks etc fed with the hot water?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Purple hair dye might be good for a laugh...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't know to be honest but probably not in the quantity here. He is not going to dump a kg into the tank like tracing a watercourse. I would use a bit of potassium permanganate crystals. Only thing likely to get browned is the shower user, and that will save on the tanning bed. :)) #

Reply to
ericp