LEDs - a dummies' guide?

I've been following the various LED threads with interest, as we're about to wire an extension and I'd like to use LEDs in kitchen and bathroom.

But I'm now thoroughly confused. I had thought the best and simplest option was GU10 fittings, for which there seems to be a wide variety of LEDs available. But I _think_ people are saying that these don't provide enough heat dissipation for long bulb life - is that right?

If so, what would be the recommendation - without spending silly money?

Reply to
Tim Hodgson

That's certainly what some seem to be saying, yes.

It was certainly a Megaman LED GU10 replacement which I mentioned as having thrown away, with most of the LEDs dead.

It may be worth remembering that I didn't even describe the type of fitment before it was poo-pooed as being inadequate and to blame for the LED's death - of course, there's a very wide range for GU10s, including ones where the bulb is completely exposed, all the way through to completely sealed ones (which state to ONLY use LEDs).

Reply to
Adrian

This is the one I settled on although I would have preferred the one with the 45 degree beam angle if I could get it for the same price.

Payback is well inside two years and they run cool enough in my fixtures that I am fairly sure I will get a good long life. You can swap them in gradually as their light output is a very good match for real incandescent bulbs - we still have a mixture in the kitchen.

Be warned that not all "warm white" bulbs are created equal and a few cheap ones have hideous green colour casts and one called "Longlife" appears to have been named by someone with an ironic sense of humour.

FWIW I'd recommend the Philips or Samsung LED lamp equivalents in a fairly classic design of spotlamp carrier (or something designed from the outset for LEDs and not inset into the ceiling. Free air movement for cooling gives a lifetime close to the makers claimed MTBF.

Conversely well insulated and no air movement will shorten their life. All bets are off if the control electronics gets above 100C for long.

If you want to dip your toe in without spending a fortune then pick one off Amazon that has 4* or better review and no rude comments about screaming like a banshee or making people look undead. Even Tescos have some now but they are overpriced and less efficient than on Amazon.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you have another one fail like that I'd like a look at it if you are willing (drop me an email privately if you are OK to do this).

Honestly some of them will kill LED devices by overheating no matter what the sales and marketing droids would have you believe. But I would expect death to be by capacitor failure not by losing individual LEDs on the array there has to be something else fishy going on...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:q2dDt.821$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad:

For my kitchen and hallway I specified Halers H2 Pro downlights. I am simply amazed by their performance.

I have a 7 year warranty from the manufacturers. The heatsink is huge and the electronics are in a separate capsule. Many different bezels are available. They are 8.5 watts.

Also JCC look good at my local wholesaler:

I took the view that integrated LED would last longer and part of the cost is offset by not initially buying GU10 downlight fittings and bulbs.

I am a very happy LED convert!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The snag with both CFL and LED replacements is the heat sensitive electronics are at the top of a downward firing lamp - ie most. And heat rises...

Ones with a separate power supply would be my choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But 470 or 550 lumens doesn't sound very much in the way of light output. How nany of those does it take to illuminate your kitchen ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Reply to
DerbyBorn

So that's around the £300 mark for your kitchen lights, yes? And they'll have to be entirely replaced in 7 years since the LED module is non-replaceable. Hmm. They do look nice, but....

Reply to
Tim Hodgson

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy her a headlight torch? :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Understood.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

I will have saved electricity and the projected life at 6 hours per day is

30 years. I will be happy with 10 though.There is nothing small about the electronics or the heat sink - so I am hopeful.

I had considered a couple of very trendy circular T5 fluorescent fittings. These were over 150 each.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, sorry - not sure how I leapt nimbly from "7 year warranty" to "replace after 7 years". Time for bed i think.

Eek.

Reply to
Tim Hodgson

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA1F9E67BECC61johnplant90ntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

This is a 150 Circular T5 Fitting. Saw them in a National Trust Cafe and was impressed:

DerbyBorn

Mine failed completely -- no individual LED failures. Only one still works but it flickers occasionally.

Reply to
Mark