LED outdoor strip

I have a dimmable electronic transformer .

240V in, 11.4v out, 5A Can I use this for an LED outdoor strip that requires 12 V. 5A
Reply to
ss

I think you will find the transformer might need a minimum continuous load before it switches on. If your led strip has any on off effects you might have problems.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

transformer implies AC

LEDs are DC

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or the OP is using the word "transformer" in a generic way to mean a device that "transforms" mains to something else. These days lighting "transformers" are far more likely to be a switched mode power supply that a lump of iron wrapped in wire.

We really need full information from the OP about the "transformer" they have.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This on the back of the transformer: EN-SC60 Prim 240v-50/60Hz, 0.26A Sec: 11.4v-eff,5A Cos 0 = 0.98 ta:50C tc 75C

1.5 surge protection ENS 1547+a1 20-60w/va
Reply to
ss

Is it an "Enlite"? If so the spec sheet says AC output

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are the outputs marked + and -?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes it is an enlite. I guess that hits that one on the head with AC output.

Reply to
ss

If you are talking the output wires there is no indication just 2 wires come out of the transformer both coloured black.

Reply to
ss

Is it AC or DC out?

Much will depend on the above (although I suppose you could rectify the output if AC)

Reply to
John Rumm

The VA on the last bit suggests an AC output.

Reply to
John Rumm

Likely not DC then - do you have a multimeter?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks all for your help, I wont mess about with it, I`ll maybe pick something up on ebay.

Reply to
ss

LV lighting `transformers` usually fairly high frequency AC...

RS, CPC/Farnell or Rapid for a U.K supplied CCTV 12V D.C. power supply.

Some frankly scary as f*ck knock off PSUs around, seen a few , had a couple go bang, now only use and spec ones that come from reputable supplier, i.e.

Adam Aglionby

If it is made for low voltage halogen lighting, probably not. Unless the LED strip is made to run from AC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)