LED or Rough Service for shock resilience?

Which would you expect to be more resilient to shock, a rough service filament light bulb or a LED bulb (both B22)?

Reply to
Michael Chare

The LED lamp by a long margin.

Reply to
Graham.

LED by a very long way

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps this wouldn't be a good choice though. ;-)

Tim+

I nearly bought the candle version of those, but they did not have the light output I wanted. (Not for my inspection lamp.) Are they any good?

Reply to
Michael Chare

IME they are excellent - I much prefer them to the "normal" format of LED lamp, since their light output is pretty much as omnidirectional like a normal filament lamp. So they work very well in cap down orientation, or when fully enclosed in the type of shade or luminaire that benefits from all round light distribution.

The light quality also does not (to my eyes anyway) have that slightly odd greeny/yellow quality that you get with some LEDs - they are the closest thing I have seen to a filament lamp so far.

(I have a mixture of the 40W and 60W equivalent ones).

BTW, order them from trade.ledhut.co.uk if you can, and they are cheaper than from the retail site.

Reply to
John Rumm

LED. However that is not to say that some constructions are better than others of both types of light.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd assumed all LEDs had a pretty robust anode and cathode. Unlike the filament in a incandescent lamp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You might be assuming incorrectly. I've no idea how robust these "pseudo filament" bulbs are but they're bound to be more fragile that a pcb mounted led.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The mechnical stability can be ssen here:

He's handling and bending the strip; it breaks once bent at an angle, see 1:50 or so...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

It all depends on how the additional components in the LED bulb are mounted. Most of the support components for LED bulbs are just mounted on a small circuit board loosely fitted in the base of the bulb. They may be the point of failure when subjected to shock.

Reply to
alan_m

Out of curiosity I have dissected my first LED lamp failure and was slightly surprised to find that the long (52) LED chain is still perfect but the power supply has failed. I checked all the diodes manually and in series. So it looks like LED lamps fail the same way as CFLs but a bit more slowly since they generate somewhat less heat.

I suspect it will be a cooked dried out PSU capacitor. That require a second level of careful cutting into the body to investigate.

Reply to
Martin Brown