LED "DD"s?

Don't they sometimes manage to start without a starter? I once saw one which you could start by "pulling" the white glow from one end to the other with your hand.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Two links here

current version

and this one looks like a much earlier version

ARW

The one I used can be seen at:

charles

People write reviews before they've had them for 6 months.

-- =

Which sexual position produces the ugliest children? Ask your mum.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I wonder what happens if you do start ne without a ballast. Is it dramatic and fun to watch? [pchecks youtube] No, they just ignite briefly then die.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Trouble is most have only been out a short time. Show me one that's rel= iable.

-- =

Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mou= setrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is the same.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

I was told that before. Crees are shit, they overheat and die very quic= kly. I bought some 3 and 4 CREE GU50 spots which lasted 3 months. Then= I bought some 7 CREE BC fitting bulbs which had a whopping great heatsi= nk on them, which I thought might make them last longer, but it didn't. = My current favourite is SMD fluorescent strip replacements (or the ones= that come with their own fitting as part of the unit). The LEDs are we= ll spaced out and they don't get warmer than body temperature. Only had= them a month though.

-- =

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa =A335K: Your main duties will include: Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their du= ties. Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 ra= inforest per year.

[...]

I'm using them in my house, where they are designed to be used. They ha= ve adequate ventilation and the room is not hot (it's Scotland). They g= et too hot to touch.

You said that about CREE.

-- =

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

They're in a very open fitting.

They are sold for domestic use, they shouldn't need wind assist like str= eetlamps.

They're in a very open fitting. Short of adding a ceiling fan.....

Do the reviews also say CREE is good? The strip lights are no more than= body temperature, so that looks promising.

I see Asda (local supermarket here owned by Walmart) now sell 100W equiv= alent (so probably 60W as they always lie) LED bulbs. Easy to take them= back when they fail :-)

-- =

A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glan= cing at the car, he was astounded to see that the blonde behind the whee= l was knitting! Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the t= rooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yelled, "PULL= OVER!" "NO!" the blonde yelled back, "IT'S A SCARF!"

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Same here - but I guessed what was meant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Me too, sorry for the confusion! I have a couple on order from CPL but have to wait until March.

Reply to
newshound

The Asda 100W equivalent claim 16w/1600lm and are very bright - seem like more than 100w GLS though this may be the colour temperature (3000K, not the usual 2700K) - which I prefer though that is a matter of taste.

Not failed in the first month....

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

Maybe supermarket ones have to not lie as much as Ebay ones. If you loo= k at the ones available on Ebay, they all quote completely different lum= ens, even though they claim the same equivalent wattage!

Did you mean 3000K? I buy 6000K (daylight). 3000K is that horrid yello= wy crap you get from compact fluorescents.

-- =

A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to th= e photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the = hat from the picture. He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his= head her husband parted his hair on. "I forgot," she said. "But you can see that for yourself when you take o= ff his hat."

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yes, 3000K, 2700K is the standard CFL - looks too red to me. 3000K (or whatever it really is) is distictly better for the living room though still not high enough for a work light.

At least it looks like there will be a choice with LED lighting - getting anything other than 2700K in CFL is/was difficult, they are never stocked in the usual outlets.

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

,

I don't think you'd notice the difference between 2700 and 3000. I've h= eard of 3000 (approx), 4500 (approx), and 6000 (approx). 6000 looks ide= ntical to sunlight, and I don't see why people want "warmer" light than = that. Sunlight is natural and looks perfect.

With CFLs I bought "Biobulbs" which were about 6000K, they were a very g= ood light for 6 months, then tended to catch fire!

-- =

I've had bad luck with both my wives. The first one left me and the seco= nd one didn't.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Could just be different phosphor characteristics, 3K does look better to me than the 2.7K CFLs they replaced but colour perception is very personal. Probably helped by achieving full brightness at switch on - having got used to the CFL warm up time.

I wouldn't try the LED bulbs in enclosed fittings though, we use the open uplighters so they are effectively in free air and the aluminium heat sink still gets quite hot - though not too hot to hold, I would guess 40-50C. Still doesn't bode too well for the 20K hours claimed.

I can't see a mass replacement by cheap LEDs happening. That would require building up the production capacity to replace the whole fleet in a few years and then drastically reducing production thereafter if the claimed lifetimes are real. They will probably remain priced as replacement items only.

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK