LCD Monitor failure modes ?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall saying something like:

Inverter board that drives the CCFLs that edge illuminate the display background. Common failure point. You can get them, and the CCFLs for cheap, depending on the model.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall saying something like:

Out of curiosity, what's the model, screen size and resolution of the dud one? I have a use for one with dud backlights.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Put laptop HDD into a desktop using an adaptor for a few quid, or into another laptop to install linux, then put the hdd back, and it should be good. Antix Linux would work well on 192M.

Another possible, if it has a floppy, is to use a wakepup floppy which tells it to boot from CD. I dont know what distros have one available, Puppy linux does.

Do check the video card refresh rate, in case its something as simple as it not being set to 60Hz.

I doubt you want to play with the CRT, but if you do, failing brightness is a simple fix.

Tabby

This monitor's a Starlogic M17CNA - AKA Chinese no-name

ISTR that the inverter board has logic-level connection to the display board - which suggests that there's something 'clever' going on...

I _could_ send off for some replacement lamps, but then it might be the driver board that's faulty.... and so it goes on.....

Think I'll just have to patronise CPC again.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

HI Grim This monitor's a Starlogic M17CNA - nominal 17" screen, - currently running 1152 x 864 on my wife's machine (odd figure - can't believe that's the native res ?)

If it's any use then it's yours for the price of the postage (ISTR you're over this side of the Irish Sea ?)

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks - another one for the day when I find that box of round tuits

Seem to recall it was kinds odd in the BIOS - was much keen er to boot from a (non-existant!) network than from anything local

No - not that - but thanks for the thought!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

probably just the screen/power saver logic.

In my limited experience, unless the CCFL has physically broken, they tend to grow dimmer as they wear out, rather than the textbook which seems to be the failure mode in this case. My monkey's on the inverter.

did I hear free shipping for >£10 orders this weekend?

Reply to
pete

Probably - but makes a drop-in replacement inverter more difficult to source

Yes - as I say, the panel was 'unwilling' to come out of power-save sometimes - which is why it was running 24/7

Didn't see any monkeys there ? You're probably right

If it is, then there'll be some small print that excludes those of us in the ROI! Usually is

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

:

I swear someone's been stealing mine.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I know how you feel!

All the jobs around the place that were going to get done between Christmas & Easter (when I'm not out & about @ the open-air markets.....)

Hmmmm!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall saying something like:

Ta for the info. I'll google it to see if it's of any use regarding stripping for projecting and let you know.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yeah, bastard things - just had a computer mbd die on me with blown caps. Happened at the same time as the HDD drive went down (or maybe I didn't notice the caps had gone before that

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon saying something like:

Na, sorry. It's no better than what I'm running atm. Quite apart from stripping it and ribbon cable issues, etc. This kind of thing is what I've done...

Grimly Curmudgeon

Network boot? Floppy boot?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher