Laptop.

Mark gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, there is. The Office 2007 Compatibility Pack acts as a plugin for recent versions of Office (XP-, IIRC), but sits alongside 2000 & previous, allowing you to convert then open.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, I just checked with the Staroffice team, and they tell me the number of engineers in the Staroffice/Openoffice team hasn't changed in years. This is a bit of FUD spread by the competition.

They tell me the OO.o Community and Sun Engineering are very productive, every 6 months there's a new release with new features. The upcoming release OO.o 3.2 will include following new features :

try to steer clear of competitive FUD.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Microsoft says it works only with Office 2000 and /later/ versions. I tried it with Office 97 it would not install.

Reply to
Mark

And with Office 2000 it won't install if that package hasn't been kept upto date with recent Office service packs. And those are difficult to find on the MS site, now that MS have dropped support.

Reply to
Adrian C

Adrian C gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A quick google for "Office 2000 SP3" finds the service pack instantly...

Reply to
Adrian

And before that it was Pagemaker. Which was displaced by Quark because Quark was better for fashionable 'type all over the place' magazine layouts. Horses for courses and they all gallop up a dead end eventually.

Reply to
djc

Golly. I remember pagewanker

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, you are right. I was relying on the 'Microsoft Update' tool to fix someone's installation, and getting hacked off that Microsoft had discontinued access to something previous called the 'Office Update' tool which would have scanned and fed in the updates automatically.

Looks like I'll have to get back to that PC and do things manually, but am more or less thinking that the 'Microsoft Update' tool was telling me to upgrade instead :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Some may be provided by the OS out of the box. Others are provided by the OS once they have been installed *by* the application.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q