Laptop battery.

I have a Dell laptop and the battery is useless.

Not tried - but can I operate it without the battery? Or does in need it in situ even though it holds no charge?

Reply to
JohnP

i CAN WITH MINE

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Well my old dell will work with it missing but it leaves a big hole in the back and one foot is missing then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

bit of diy would sort that out

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Most are just fine with no battery present. Both of mine are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It should work from the PSU even if the battery is knackered.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some do require the battery to be present, knackered or not. Some older Dells did - OP has not given the model though.

Reply to
Scion

Just try it. Remember Aristotle and the horse's teeth?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Although the Caps Lock key is shagged

Reply to
Andrew

Although it might be too old to allow more recent software to be installed :-(

Reply to
Andrew

:)

Reply to
R D S

Scion snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid wrote in news:rvbl73$b99$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Inspiron N5010

Reply to
JohnP

The manual for the N5010 does not specify that the battery is required to be present.

Why not give it a go? You can remove the battery by sliding a couple of latches.

Reply to
Scion

sorry just can't be arsed correcting errors like that

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Thanks - took the plunge whist it was running.

Reply to
JohnP

In message <XnsACC5B32255B15JohPnowherecom@81.171.92.222>, JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com writes

Back a post or two.. is there any risk in using an old laptop, with original battery, permanently on mains?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

As long as the battery isn't faulty then it's no problem. Keep an eye out for the battery swelling though. (If it happens it will be over time, not sudden.)

Reply to
Scion

no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you think about it, it's likely at least some hot plug in a spare battery. If you could damage it by doing this I'd expect to see warnings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News