LAN segregation ?

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Does your router support the BT FON network? ISTR it is designed to provide this sort of service - and you can charge for it also.

Reply to
bert

The BT homehub has to be persuaded NOT to act as a public hotspot...

Reply to
Adrian

This reminds me that just about every holiday home I've been to that provides WiFi via the owner's residential part of the property has had the main (or only!) router configured with the default username and password so that I've been able to get onto their router and adjust configurations had I been so minded.

I know that many companies now issue routers with more complex usernames and passwords as default when they are supplied with a broadband package but owners often seem to be unaware that giving me the Wifi password gives me some access to their network.

I can readily see teenagers getting onto the router via "Admin" "Password" type access controls, and leaving the homeowner with no access to their router at the end of the week after they have modified the password "for a laugh"!

Reply to
larkim

Ditto. I use a Smoothwall running on a junk PC with 3 NICs plus the onboard one.

Reply to
Huge

And it's just that scenario I'm planning to forestall rather than a determined hacker:)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

... but only for people who have a BT account or a FON account. It doesn't really help the OP unless all their visitors have BT broadband.

Reply to
cl

I think FON accounts can be made available to non-bt users

Reply to
bert

They are - you just sign up and pay.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, but you have to have a FON modem yourself or subscribe to one of the other 'BT's that are part of the FON network.

Reply to
cl

... again, true, but no help to the OP.

Reply to
cl

With the older FONs = foneras 2100 etc you used to be able to set up "friends and family" logins which gave free access to the PUBLIC wifi network. These Foneras no longer provide any FON PUBLIC network access and are only any use as normal wifi APs.

Reply to
Robert