laminate problem....top of staircase

i wish to lay laminate flooring in the upstairs landing. this will finish at the top of the staircase( which will have a runner going down it). my dilemma is how to stop the laminate at the top of the staircase neatly.any opinions / advice on the most aesthetically pleasing way of doing this would be most appreciated.

Reply to
all_mark

slip, skid, fall down stairs ?

just a thunk.

RT

Reply to
[news]

I thought about it in my last house and decided that it just wasn't possible. Maybe I'm wrong.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The runner won't be the only thing going down it! IMHO not a terribly safe idea, much too slippery. Laminate is good in dining rooms and halls but not at the top of (or on) stairs.

Reply to
Dave

Laminate the stairs too?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What present flooring are you wishing to re-cover? It must be quite dire if you intend to use a laminate. S.

Reply to
Sheila

Will they fit in that plastic pouch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

wrote | i wish to lay laminate flooring in the upstairs landing. this will | finish at the top of the staircase( which will have a runner going down | it). my dilemma is how to stop the laminate at the top of the staircase | neatly.any opinions / advice on the most aesthetically pleasing way of | doing this would be most appreciated.

I suggest you laminate up to, and reform the nosing on, the edge of the landing step, then continue the runner from the stairs onto and straight along the landing until you get to a wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not sure if this will work for you but

At the top of my stairs the sides of the stair are about 75mm beyond the nosing of the top step. I laminated only to the edge of the side supports and then fitted a metal door strip between the stair sides I fitted this very securely This allowed a 75mm turn of carpet past the top step nosing. I had discussed this with the carepet fitters before doing it and they were happy that they could make a safe and proper join to the stair carpet

The appearance is the same as at each of the bedroom doors and looks really neat.

As the metal strip is only about 1mm thick there is no chance of anyone tripping on it. (I did however consider routing the edge of the laminate so that the metal strip would sit flush with the surface but decided that it was not necessary)

This has been in place now since february with daily use

Reply to
TMC

The best solution I've found for this problem is a bull/stair nose. Pergo make them... have a look at their website.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

silly boy :-))