Laminate flooring - circular wall

Hi all,

I have a circular wall in my living room. Going to laminate the room soon. Are there any best methods for laminating up to a wall that is circular.

I am awaiting the laminate and scotia to arrive, but I am not sure if the scotia is sufficiently flexible to bend around the circular wall. I guess I can use a jigsaw to cut the laminate.

Are there any recommendations that should be taken into consideration with circular walls (its one of those where the window sill facing the road is round).

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Lay the planks so they run tinto the bay and not across it. That way you only need cut a ark across the width of each plank. Start with the grove at the end of the plank nearest the window (not the tounge).

To cut the curve you will need to scribe a line to cut too first.

To do this you need a short stick of wood and a pencil. Place the plank approximately in position, but set away from the wall a few inches. Now holding the pencil against the end of the stick, and on the plank. The other end of the stick wants to be touching the wall. Now slide the stick and pencil assebbly to the side across the plank keeping the stick incontact with the wall at all times. The stick should hold the pencil a fixed distance from the wall hence forcing it to follow the same curve.

Now cut out the line with your jigsaw.

A strip of cork edging can be placed in the gap between plank and wall to act as an expansion strip.

You may need to "kerf bend" the quadrant. This involves making lots of partial saw cuts through the quadrant from the front to the back. These will create gaps that can then "close up" as you bend the wood. You may need to practice to find the right number and spacing of cuts that lets you get the bend radius right without leaving too many visible gaps in the wood.

Looking down on quadrant:

___________________________

___________________________

Cuts:

___________________________

____||__||__||__||__||_____

Now bend so that the cuts are on the inside of the bend - they should close up a bit. Fix in position and make good with filler.

You now have a nicely fitted naff plastic floor! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The problem is with my method is aquiring the cardboard size,however using this method will give a perfected arc providing your skill with a jigsaw is very good?

Ok we have aquired this cardboard so...

  1. Draw a line across the bay window where both sides of the bay window arc end and jot down the width.

  1. Next find the center of that line and draw another line at that point up to the bay window wall try and keep the line center to the wall as possible,if you cant judge this measure the walls internal arc and half that to measure a point on the wall. Jot down how big the line is from wall to parralle line

The latter will give you how big the cardboard is needed to use as a template for cutting the laminate perfect. the cardboard needs to be cut 2" longer than for the arc point reason.

Draw a line from the edge of the cardboard down using the measurement in section(2) Draw a line right across the width of the cardboard at the above lenght. Find the center of this line and draw another line to the edge of the cardboard.

Get a thin stick and drill a hole in it at one end,the hole should be the same size as a pencil so that when you push a pencil into this hole you have to work the pencil in for it to grip the pencil rather than it being loose.

Now position the stick on the cardboard with the pencil right on the edge of cardboard and at the other end of the stick mark a pencil line on the stick where the line that goes across the cardboard.

Where you made a pencil line on the stick bang a clout headed nail in the center of the wood where the mark is.

Now to draw the arc...

Position the nail head on the center line of the cardboard and sweep an arc across the cardboard from one edge to the other,this will then when cut out with a pair of scissors give you an arc that should fit perfectly into the bay window.

Along the flat edge of the template lay down a piece of lamintate and mark the width of how many pieces it'll take on the arc,taking into consideration not to add the tongue as this lies flush inside the groove.

Position this template on temporarily clipped together laminate pieces to draw the arc for cutting individually when seperated.

Erm! I hope you can grasp all that?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Since this is an "inside" curve not an "outside" curve, surely the cuts need to be on the inside of the quadrant, cut from back to front, not vice versa?

The gaps will open up when pushed against the wall.

Or have I got brain-fade again? ;-) Tim Hardisty. Please remove HAT before replying by email.

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

When I read the Op's post at first I thought he meant a convex wall but when he mentions a window sill at the end maybe he does mean a concave wall...in other words a bay window ...in which case cutting the quadrant from front to back is correct .If it was a convex wall then cutting the quadrant from back to front is right .. Cutting the quadrant from the front will be... imho... tricky to do without it being obvious when fitted ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Thanx John. I assume that it is easier to do the floor by laying down from the circular wall first? That way I can do it one plank at a time getting the curve right and then lay it down leading up to the straight wall?

AMO

Reply to
AMO

No actually I have a jigsaw but never used it - only bought it a few weeks ago. However, I have a friend who is reasonably competant!!! ;0)

Thanx. Is that the best way to do it? I guess that the hard part is getting the cardboard as accurate as possible for a template.

Now I just need to find the cardboard of that size!

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Two pieces of untextured wallpaper sellotaped together if you cant find the cardboard. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup, that is right - you lay it just like for a square room with the added wrinkle of cutting the curve on the back of each board at the start of each run - other than that it is the same.

Reply to
John Rumm