Kitchen worktop finishing

I've now got a new laminate kitchen worktop installed and need to glue laminate onto the ends of the worktop where it has been sawn off and the core is exposed.

Can anyone tell me what sort of glue to use?

Thanks, larty.

Reply to
Larty

Contact adhesive - e.g. Evostik.

Follow the instructions about allowing it to be touch dry first and then remember that once it's on, it's for keeps, so you have to get it right first time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 25 Nov 2004 05:16:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Larty) strung together this:

Evo-stik. Apply to both surfaces, attach, leave to dry and trim to size with a sharp stanley knife\wood chisel and finish off with a fine metal file

Reply to
Lurch

I have used Evostik in the past, but just recently I used a regular resin based wood glue, and that's worked fine too. The end pieces are usually oversized, and after they're well and truely stuck on, I sand down the edge to be level with the worktop, but you have to be careful not to go too far and take the surface off the worktop itself.

I remember my father actually laminating whole worktops around 1970 with large sheets of formica and gallons of Evostick. We were proabaly all high for days afterwards...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A laminate triming bit in a router will do the job with less risk of damaging the worktops surface.

Reply to
John Rumm

And so you should have been - in 1970.

Reply to
rrh

yeah, thats what I did - but I found I could see the adhesive layer between the trim and worktop after filing down (perhaps it was due to old glue that was a bit thicker and so left a slightly thicker layer?), anyway I wiped some black paint (its a black worktop!) over it and wiped it off immediately - stained the glue very nicely without staining the laminate :o)

Contact Adhesive - e.g.Evostik. Use a belt sander or orbital sander to get a smooth surface. Coat both surfaces and allow to almost dry. Offer up strip & stick - you only get one chance. It is best to try to get the bottom of the strip to line up with the bottom of the worktop. use the SIDE of a wood chisel to shear the laminate against the edge of the worktop & finish with a surfoam tool at an angle to the worktop.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

It's apply, leave to dry (10-15 mins), attach with Evo-stik.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ