Kitchen Floor Units and Granite - Secure before template ?

Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge) ?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before :-)

Ant.

Reply to
ANt

I'd choose template after fixing units. You can adjust a unit should you need, but the granite.... Anyway that's how Bob Vila does it.

Toby

Definately secure your cabinets first, then template with 6mm ply. Just make sure your cabinets are 100% even and level first and that you put in the extra supports for the granite if you have cut outs etc.

Tony

Reply to
enuff

With mine, the units were secured and then the templating was done and granite fitted. That worked well.

My contract was with the kitchen design/installation company and they subcontracted the worktops. In that sense I was less concerned because they were taking responsibility for the whole project.

If they were separate agreements I would have taken the advice of the granite supplier. Intuitively this sounds right anyway because there isn't the scope to trim granite as there might be with chipboard.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Better to get the granite supplier to do the templating, then if they f*ck up it's their issue to resolve.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Having just gone through the process of templating and fitting our own granite worktops, I'd follow the advice of the granite supplier, and secure first, our supplier used a CNC milling machine and as such the granite was the exact shape of the template, thus make sure that your templates are exact i.e follow any out of aligned walls, have correct overhang, have rounded corners templated, sink / tap holes etc. Our supplier even went to the trouble of making sure that the upper and lower chamfer (square & chamfer edge) on an internal cornered joint matched the corresponding one on the other slab.

Other things to note, is that granite is unbelievably heavy, so make sure units are well fixed to wall / well supported.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

your fitter is talking poop ..... secure the units

Reply to
Simon

Good point, except on my first kitchen they wanted about £200 to do the templates against a supply only cost of about £1000. They then wanted about another £200 to fit them and we had no joints in any of the tops, just lay the slabs on a bed of gripfill and that was it!

Still, if its a complicated job or you're not 101% confident its worth passing the risk.

Tony

Reply to
enuff

and make sure that the sides are vertical - perhaps by fitting doors

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks for the advice guys. My suggestion was to secure the units first...so I'll reiterate that.

Good points about the extra supports, I'd read a few posts suggesting this and once the base units are in I'll ask him to baton any gaps out.

The supplier is doing the templating so I'll also ask them to point out any areas where extra support is required in case we've missed anything.

Cheers, Ant.

Reply to
ANt

Exactly. Typically it takes a few days after templating to make the worktops. During that time, you can get any extra things fitted.