Kitchen Floor Tiling - Level Accuracy

Hi all

Just considering attacking the kitchen - refurb 2 years over-due! Laying a straight edge across the floor, although basically flat, it appears about 10mm higher in the middle than at the outsides. Is it necessary to do anything about this before tiling, or is it "within reasonable limits"? How much of this can be taken up with adhesive, if any? Having used floor levelling compound before, I'm not sure I could improve greatly on this degree of level in any case. Also one of the low points is at a doorway to another room, so screeding would introduce a small step.

My concern is whether this level change will cause issues with cabinet levelling etc later.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

10mm? I didn't bother leveling my kitchen floor before tiling it, and that's 50mm lower in the middle than around the edge. Make sure you fit kitchen units with adjustable legs (I suspect they all have nowadays, but that wasn't always the case). It doesn't notice unless you specifically look for it, and it does mean that if anything leaks, you see it quickly as a puddle in the middle of the floor rather than staying hidden behind some units. (I tiled all the way to the walls; some people don't tile under the units.)

Tile adhesive makes for a rather expensive bulk filler.

It didn't with my IKEA ones, which have quite a lot of adjustment in the legs. You may need to trim (or built up) plinths in extreme cases.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On a solid floor it may be worth chopping out the hump in the middle if it's not too extensive. I don't tile under units but I sure do tile under washing machines etc, introducing a slight fall away from the wall if possible

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Stuart Noble" wrote

Thanks Andy/Stuart

There isn't a noticable "hump" in the middle, it's a smooth rise to a high point IYSWIM. Think I'll just ignore it and adjust unit legs as suggested.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Actually I missed that it was a "hump" until I read Stuart's follow-up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel