Kitchen Extension.

I am about to build a single storey kitchen. I wonder if solid 9inch celcon type blocks would be a good idea. the outside is going to be rendered to match the existing. Do 9inch blocks have good insulation qualities. Any info would be gratefully recieved.

nowatimean innit.

Reply to
Aoilyboy

'good' - well, not really. Good in comparison to a single skin of bricks, possibly.

You probably want a minimum of 100mm rockwool, 50mm kingspan, or something in addition to the blocks.

If it was me, and cost was no object (currently insulating whole house for 600 quid), I'd go with blocks, and 100mm kingspan boards inside them, then plasterboard. This will certainly give a very well insulated kitchen.

(It's not _horribly_ expensive - for 10m of wall, it's about 350 quid. I'm using 100mm rockwool, which is considerably more annoying to install, and is about half the insulating value per mm, as well as 1/6th the price)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You won't be allowed to build it without an insulated cavity...if cost is a major importance, you can build exterior skin in concrete blocks (for rendering) then 85mm of fibreglass, then thermalite blocks inside, but you'll probably be required to dryline the walls too, to get the U value up, or increase the cavity width and insulation...have you had plans drawn?

If you build it without informing building control, they can make you take it down, plus if and when you ever sold the house, the cost of knocking it down and making good would be deducted from the selling price, if you could even find a buyer

Reply to
Phil L