Kitchen appliance isolator

You really need to do some more reading. There is no requirement to bond a metal sink. Indeed it may be increasing risk to do so. We're talking about kitchens here.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They may look "built-in" but I bet the appliances we are talking about (a washing machine and a dishwasher) are in fact free-standing, probably on castors, and just slide into purpose-made slots in the kitchen units. In that case they are not "fixed" and can have normal flexes and plugs.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Indeed. Could you give some examples of domestic kitchen appliances - apart from some large cookers - which aren't?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you don't know the relationship between volts, amps, watts and ohms and can't read a rating plate on an appliance then you shouldn't be playing around with the electrical installation at all.

On the other hand if you do understand the underlying science and know a few basic principles you'll probably do a safe job even if it doesn't comply with the last detail of the 16th edition.

Some cookers can run off 13amps e.g. a single built-in oven or a small electric hob or a dual-fuel cooker.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Yes; I recently helped with the installation of a complete kitchen where all the appliances were built in, and every one, except for the oven, came fitted with a lead and plug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is not the problem its the additional means of isolation thats required

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Yes this is true the regs give a definition that its a fixed appliance if held into place my means of brakets and/or screws to the cabinets or walls, if it slides out its not fixed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thats not what it says in the IEE regs it says "ALL metalwork MUST be bonded if it cannot be effecively segregated to prevent appreciable voltage difference at possible points of contact" and "items that may require bonding include sinks" I wont be rude and say you talk "Piffle" but I agree that the" may "included in the above is not defined exactly. You are I can make informed choice but when giving advise to others it should be given on the safe side.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

see answer above for the requirement suggest you get the book out.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Sorry, you are wrong. You are reading the UK regulations aren't you?

There are many references on the web to the potential dangers of bonding metalwork that doesn't require bonding. In particular, even in bathrooms, it is safer to use plastic pipework and leave metal baths and radiators unbonded.

Festooning an installation in bonding wire can make an installation more dangerous in some circumstances. You mustn't interpret the advice as "it isn't required, so don't bother".

You only have to look at the poor unfortunate woman who was killed by the wall mounted rack. It was the good bonding on the dishwasher that meant that sufficient current was available to kill her. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that you don't bond the dishwasher, just that if you have metal parts, then isolation is preferable to earthing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry, it is at home and not to hand. Which regulation are you quoting?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But if the rack was earthed ?

Reply to
Peter

Well, if you want to earth your bread bin, your wine rack, your door hinges, door handles etc. then feel free. I'd go for a yellow and green colour scheme in your kitchen if you do.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

: ) i was being sarcastic

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Oh, for Pete's sake! This is not a catering kitchen we're talking about, just an ordinary domestic one; the "rack" in question sounds like a little wire basket a few inches across. What else do you suggest we earth: a bread bin (I've had a metal one mounted on the wall in a previous home)?

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

cant u guys take a joke !!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

You keep saying this. To isolate something with a 13 amp plug, unplug it. And if you feel the sockets are in an unsuitable place - like behind the machine - it will be *far* less work to move them or add new ones than to neatly install switches in an accessible position. And there's a good chance the lady of the house won't know which ones do what anyway in a so called emergency, as they won't be in regular use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you earth the metal knifes and forks as well?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely true. This is the main reason I regularly turn off the "master isolator" for the eletrickles in our teens' music/TV/puter room when going to bed at night: they have to turn it to the On position when using any kit in there the next day, so they most definitely do know where it is. Hard to do that sort of behvioural modification for kitchen appliances, though - their front panel provides all the control needed in normal use, and as some of them have timers and so on, a "master isolator" isn't something you could reliably and conveniently operate daily anyway.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

springy leads work best with wrist straps

Peter

Reply to
Peter