Jacking castors

Can anyone suggest a supplier of a couple of cheap'ish jacking castors (castors that retract when not needed) to fit to a combi woodworking machine? I need to be able to move it around the workshop but have it secure when being used.

Reply to
NoSpam

Heavy duty threaded hole fixed castors + L-angle fixed to side of machine + Stud protruding + Couple of nut + Spanner magnet clamped to side of machine.

Wind them down when needed, back them out when not?

Better would be a big allen socket drive bolt, weld a nut to the L- angle, weld the bolt to the castor, just stick in a big ball-end allen key and wind the thing up and down to bring the castor "into and out of play".

For cars they do jo-jo jacks with a lever, and probably for other applications - but they cost a lot.

Reply to
js.b1

Thanks for that, it's close to my "plan B": box section on side of machine with a nut welded on the bottom and a hole in the top so the studding can pass through, studding bored and tapped to take a threaded-stem castor. I like the idea of using cap screws but they're pretty hard so it may be tough to bore/tap them - welding might be difficult because of the plating on the castor but I guess I could grind it off ... experimentation needed!

Reply to
NoSpam

Cap screw would work well on its own, just a bit fiddly...

Plain cap screw ! ! Nut welded onto Box (or hand tap 10mm thick L-Angle) ! ! Nut Backing to lock Castor threaded

Stick a cut-down allen key in a cordless drill with clutch, whizz the cap screw down until it bottoms on the Box/L-Angle. When done, whizz it back up. Lot less fiddly than spanners.

Reply to
js.b1

Google for Zambus or Footmaster. There are also cheaper alternatives which these searches willl turn up.

Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

Reply to
js.b1

Thanks! That's a nice design but pricey in the UK

Reply to
NoSpam