Iron Studs

I am planning my Christmas project, which will be making an oak door.

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an old english castle (located in wales). Its 50 inches wide, and 7 foot tall, so its not your standard size. The frame is made from 8x4 and

8x14 oak, its set in a real stone wall, so it has to have a chunky solid look.

The outside will have vertical planks, and iron nail studs, with a large heavy knocker.

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from. These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the web, but not found anything much.

I also want squeeky hinges - like on scooby doo :-)

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

====================

1/4" studs might be too small to have an impact. Have a look here for suggested size:
Cicero

Genuine "castle doors" don't have frames. They're universally flat-boarded on the outside , because exposing the framework also shows where best to break it.

They're widely available. The cheap and convenient option is to use square-headed coachscrews.

You'll also need hinges and knocker, which you'll either be making or buying from a real smith. They'll be able to source the studs too.

As a finish, then take any zinc coating off first with some convenient acid (even vinegar), then rust brown them (salt and warm humidity), then blacken them with phosphoric acid. Finally oil them.

Watch out for "iron stain" if you put steel fittings into oak. best option is to darken the oak first (ammonia gas, ammonia liquid or iron acetate (wire wool and vinegar) in increasing darkness. .

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you really want something special go to your local blacksmith. This sort of stuff is bread and butter to them. Watch them make one, it shows their skills at the highest level of simplicity. it's like magic.

Reply to
EricP

Sort of on fire and accompanied by a male voice choir? ;-)

Not quite the right size but ironmongery direct do 15mm studs. For anything smaller than this your best bet might be to find a friendly blacksmith. and get some knocked up.

Reply to
Matt

Thats down the road, in Blaeau Festiniog, we have a welsh soloist in our valley, you can get his CDs on amazon.

The Ironmongery direct one has no picture - I guess I should order just one.

I was hoping to avoid my local blacksmith. I guess I should go further afield to find one :-)

Rick

Reply to
Rick

The printed catalogue (free) has a tiny pic, doubt it would scan well.

Plenty of other work for them with the hinges etc so you might get one interested further afield. Some friends of mine used a guy in the Peak District for similar work on their entire barn/farmhouse conversion about three years ago - I know he retired recently else you would have had a good one to use. His work was exceptional.

Reply to
Matt

Rick formulated the question :

What I call 'coach bolts' have a square head. Like a large wood screw, with a straight shank and a square head. They might be a little too long for your needs. You could always have some square rustic looking heads welded onto no. 14 or larger screws.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What, with scorch marks round the letterbox?

I would suggest a reed switch on the door and a concealed digital audio playback device. Then you can sample a scoobysqueak off the telly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

periodproperty.co.uk now sells those - at what price I dont know, IIRC they didnt dare say.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Funny about that, I was in my local; B&Q yesterday, and saw a bag of them. No idea of the price as they weren't on my mental list of things to look out for.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick