Insured builers ??

If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about 'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the process!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Contact your company: Mostly they will cover if the builder fails to..and lots of smaller ones do not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Insurance company will have specific requirements about contract between OP and builder. One of thse expensive formal contracts. JCT.

Reply to
Mogga

For my extension (self-build, which includes "self-project-manage" !), I payed 318 quid for 18 months site insurance including stolen tools etc. Probably over the top for knocking a wall through, but a possibility. It gives you public indemnity insurance, but surely the builder should have this already. But without a "corgi" to enforce it, I bet many don't.

What then happens if the builder brings the neighbour's wall down ??

I phoned my house insurance before, they said you won't be covered for anything the builders nick from your house ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That was the case with mine... I didn't have one in place and in the end it was me that bought a generic JCT one (from RIBA maybe?) and stuck in under the builder's nose to sign, just in order to keep my insurers happy.

David

Reply to
Lobster