Insulating loft room.

I have a loft conversion that is inadequatly insulated (according to the survey). The current room is platered?

What is the easiest way to inprove this insulation?

I have been looking, at products such as Knauf Linerboard, or X-Foil

this be attached directly to the plaster, overbatterned and then plasterboarded? or in the case of Linerboard, installed directly over the existing plaster?

Would an additional vapour barrier be needed?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bob

Does it feel colder than the rest of the house? If not, I'd forget about it. Unless you've got a foot of foam round it, it's unlikely to meet current standards anyway. Surveyors often pad out their reports with unhelpful suggestions.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Totally ignore the survey, unless it comes with an actual u-value figure. Examine the detailed structure of the roof, this will likely involve drilling holes. Find out what materials are used, their thicknesses and air gaps between them and construction. Now, compute the U value of the roof space 'walls'.

Work out how much you will save over 5/10/... years, with possible increases in fuel pricing, by improving to current standards.

Vapour barriers are needed any time you have warm moist air on one side of a permeable membrane, and cold trapped air on the other, on the other side of some insultion.

Most construction materials are permeable, other than foil backed stuff.

Reply to
Ian Stirling