Insulating loft room?

I have a loft conversion I intend to re insulate.
Im thinking of removing the plasterboard to the pitched roof and using 50mm Kingspan or similar between the trusses leaving a air space between the tiles for ventilation. Then possibly battening by 25mm and using the thermofoil type material now available, such as
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mmx8m/p/210022
Or I could use a further layer of 25mm Kingspan with no battens then the plasterboards.
Any thoughts?
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 7:25:50 PM UTC, kev wrote:

Avoid multifoils http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Insulation
NT
/ snipped-for-privacy@care2.com - show quoted text - Avoid multifoils http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Insulation /q
Links to where they're not mentioned at all....
Troll?
Jim K
JimK wrote:

Try and find a 'U' value for the stuff ...
/Try and find a 'U' value for the stuff ... /q
Nope not even in the wiki section impressively entitled-
'Insulation that doesn't insulate'
Oh well
Jim K
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 11:09:34 PM UTC, JimK wrote:

The troll whines but doesn't contribute anything. Its a _wiki._
NT
/ snipped-for-privacy@care2.com - show quoted text - The troll whines but doesn't contribute anything. Its a _wiki._ /q
FFS again nige....
Where did I profess to know anything about shit insulation methods? to update out of date wiki articles that, oh yes the sore point:- you are heavily involved in maintaining/not (judging by the lengthy 'history' tabs on such pages)
Jim K
On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 8:31:16 AM UTC, JimK wrote:

insulation hasnt changed since it was written afaik

sore?
Do you have something to contribute or not? If not, why keep whining that others have done, but its not quite perfect yet? Do something useful for once, or quit whining.
NT
/ snipped-for-privacy@care2.com - show quoted text - Avoid multifoils http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Insulation
NT/q
I see you've cobbled together a sentence about it now, but no refs or justifications for slagging it... Oh well.
Jim K
On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 8:11:02 PM UTC, JimK wrote:

yup
but no refs
not yet. Feel free to add them
or justifications for slagging it... Oh well.
of course there's justification. childish moron.
NT
/Do you have something to contribute or not? If not, why keep whining that others have done, but its n(and that you have strong associations)t quite perfect yet? Do something useful for once,
To restate the obvious my contribution was to point out to you that the article you posted a link to (and that you have a strong editorial association with) contained no mention of the foil insulation you were discrediting.
Now you have amended it it does contain 'a mention' of that foil insulation, but has no discussion or references to explain why it should be discredited. The 'usefulness' of that as part of a 'knowledge base' is a bigger question than desperately trying to silence the messenger with 'troll' comments and suchlike.
Jim K
On 19/02/2015 20:22, JimK wrote:

There is certainly controversy over the various claims and counter claims for multifoils:
e.g.
http://www.torbay.gov.uk/bc-multifoils.pdf
(same copy available from various LABC sites)
The general problems is that they fail miserably when tested using the standardised tests used for other insulation products, but the makers claim that when compared like for like in real world situations they perform as well as existing products.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 8:22:16 PM UTC, JimK wrote:

You said that already.

said that already too.

I dont see a question, I see a wiki article on insulation with a fair bit of useful info.

You are a troll. You take every opportunity to be childish. You're a timewaster.
/I dont see a question, I see a wiki article on insulation with a fair bit of useful info. /q
Well you wouldn't would you? being unable to cope with even mild constructi ve criticism of your gaffes.

d suchlike.
/You are a troll. You take every opportunity to be childish. You're a timew aster. /q
Why did you feel the need to update your wiki with partial refs to foil ins ulations after my prompt? Shurely nige, if I was the 'timewasting childish troll' you are, again rather desperately insinuating, there would have been no reason for you to feel the need to do anything? but you did do somethin g so you must have felt a need, ergo I cannot be the 'timewasting childish troll' you hope you can discredit me as :-)
Jim K
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 10:09:02 AM UTC, JimK wrote:

t of useful info. /q

tive criticism of your gaffes.

and suchlike.

ewaster. /q

nsulations after my prompt? Shurely nige, if I was the 'timewasting childis h troll' you are, again rather desperately insinuating, there would have be en no reason for you to feel the need to do anything? but you did do someth ing so you must have felt a need, ergo I cannot be the 'timewasting childis h troll' you hope you can discredit me as :-)

You sure leave no doubt about your childishness and trolling. Back to the f ilter you go.
/ You sure leave no doubt about your childishness and trolling. Back to the filter you go./q
Ignorance is bliss?
Jim K
On 18/02/15 20:53, Andy Burns wrote:

Aerogel is supposed to be teh next genuinely good thing - but it's not readily available to plebs yet - though I have heard of it being used on big jobs.
Just seem a building going up (new houses) and they are still using rockwool.

I looked at it about a year ago and it is available but at high cost, 40quid a metre for a performance equivalent to about 30mm of celotex so approx 120quid a metre to get performance equiv to 100mm of PIR.

It's cheap . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 19/02/15 10:44, fred wrote:

How thick is it (to match 30mm celotex)?

Although I would have thought the price difference for cavity walls would have pale into insignificance compared to the cost of bricks and bricklayer...
These are not cheap houses either - I've seen the marketing flyer and initial sale prices.

It's approx 55% more effective than PIR foam board per unit thickness so 20mm of aerogel is equivalent to 30mm Celotex.
At the time it appeared to only be available in 10mm thicknesses and so the 20mm would be 2 sheets thick.
We discussed it a little in the thread "How do they make a Part L door?" in Dec '13 and how it was being used to create minimally invasive insulation by adding 10mm to the inside of lossy council houses.

Look after the pennies etc, etc
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .