Insulating house walls with no vapour barrier.

I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall. There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of situation that will not cause condensation problems?

Or is my next task to either replace /add foiled plasterboard, paper the insides with some sort of vapour barrier, or invent a 2" deep robot that can climb along the inside of the walls and spray bitumen.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Has there been problems in the past? Best panit the wlal with opil based paint. A 2 to 3 coats.

Reply to
IMM

why not use insulated plasterboard ? it's basically a sandwich of insulation (polystyrene or whatever it is), a vapour barrier and plasterboard on top.

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Because it'll be quite a lot more expensive (I assume). And if possible, I'd prefer a solution that does not involve removing existing board.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Does anyone have figures on vapour permeability of oil paint?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Not off the top of my head, but when I did, it wasn't particularly effective, but better than nothing. Certainly several coats of undercoat would be required to have a useful effect.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

About 1/4 of a vapour barrier, so a put a good few coats.

Reply to
IMM