Insulating a loft with small opening

my kitchen is in a converted outhouse and has a small loft hatch. I cant get in so how can I insulate it? I though about a few sack fulls of poly beads but they can damage wiring apparently. any ideas?
Steve
R P McMurphey wrote:

Yep. Pull the ceiling down, put up celotex, and re-plastyerboard and skim.
Or remve the slates, felt, insulate and re roof?

Let go with a Foamseal 200 (look on Google) through the hole.

Don't do it. There are times when these products should be used and times when they should not (mostly).
Why not just cut a bigger hatch? It will involve a little more work and a lot of mess but then the job is done right.
I am suprised that you cannot get through the hole though. I have some that are very small but always possible to squeeze through, even if I have to eat nothing but celery for a week or so beforehand.
Rob

Either that or crawl up there and if you can't get out again, use legs as a towel rail..... This has been done before (wedged bear in great tightness etc.)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
First consider if it is really worth worrying about for such a small area. Cost savings and thermal comfort are likely to be minimal
You could use vermiculite which is easy to spread. Polystyrene is not really a problem for wiring though.
You can lay quilt with a stick to poke it into place
dg

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:16:24 -0000, dg wrote:

erm, not according to at least one cable maker:
http://www.generalcable.co.nz/Technical/10.1.1.1.pdf
(Google: +polystyrene +pvc)
Beads I suggest would have a high contact contact area and will maintain it as they settle.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:23:50 -0000, dg wrote:

But if the OP can get in to spread building paper under the already installed wiring, which will of course have enough slack, he can get in to fit bog standard rockwool or glass fibre...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Yes, but [perhaps] I was responding the specific point of using polystyrene with cables, and not the issue of placing it there? ;o)
The point regarding there being not enough slack to place the cables on top of any insulation is a good one - so even if he could get into the roof space, then it is unlikely that quilt could be laid as it will cover the cables!
I would just screw the loft hatch shut and forget about it - its easiest
dg

Dave Liquorice wrote:

i cant get in the loft...i can baerly poke my head in. where can i get vermiculite>
steve
If a local good builders merchants can't get some, then try a garden centre - as it is more popular nowadays for mixing with soil than as insulation.
Or try a Google (UK) search
dg

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:49:29 -0000, R P McMurphey wrote:

Be warned that if there is any draughts the vermiculite doesn't like the cold and will move away... It's very light granular stuff.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
I took the roof off
Maybe a bit easier for you, some companies blow stuff in, the run a big pipe from their van. Also wickes do a loose fill insulation, you could put it in a bucket and shoe it up, then use a small rake to spreead it out, very itchy .......
Rick