new electricity supply

A friend is building a new house in his garden. The garage is about 20 metres from the new house and there is a underground duct between them. The local electricity board have terminated the supply with their meter in the garage. The ccu will be in the house so does this mean a hefty two core cable to take the supply from garage to ccu, I say hefty as meter tails are 16mm these days I understand. His existing house has overhead supply with TT earth, the new supply comes from a pole over the road,underground to the garage so assume he will also have a TT earth for the new house.Any suggestions about the garage to house cable?

Reply to
markatherton

Is the old house staying up, or is it being demolished ?

You would probably be better applying for a new supply to the new house, but it will cost you... You should get away with the VAT component though because its a new build.

Unless you get a seperate supply, you will more than likely have problems getting the existing supply split and metered seperately (there will only be one MPAN for the existing supply, and they shouldn`t normally put a meter at the end of someone elses` submain)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Reply to
markatherton

AFAIK thats much too far for meter tails.... The CU should be within a couple of metres of the meter.

Reply to
BillR

I think you will find that all new installs must be 25mm tails.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I think that`s only under the customers' side of the installation which would be covered by the 16th Edition - the supply regs are less strict and 16mm is still permissable afaik

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Where do you want the CU to be ? If you want it in the house, i`d imagine you`d need a fused isolator and a large enough sub-main to take the supply from the garage to the house.

That would probably be entirely dependant on the network in the area. If its pole-fed, then unless the line has been refurbished, I think it would have to be TT.

Earthing is a bit of a weak point where i`m concerned though :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The meter tails ARE on the customer's side, and must be supplied by the customer.

Reply to
Bob Eager

16mm drops feeding 25 mm tails
Reply to