Insulate your home even more

Already done that - even making covers for keyholes.

The latest task is removing and repairing stained glass lights and having them encapsulated with plain glass at each side before replacing them. That will cut out draughts as well as making them virtually triple glazed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As with all these things it varies. Talk to our neighbour, took 3 visits= before they even started work. Old stone built house they didn't have drills long enough, this *was* pointed out at the survey stage. Pipe wor= k is surface run un capped. Electrician drilled through one of the new pipes, wrecking their sofa and carpet and resuting in system being isolated for several days old heating system was not functional by now..= . They had to claim for the damage on their own insurance, the contractors= or Warmfront were not interested. The workers were travelling from about=

50 miles away so didn't arrive until late and left early, even by tradesman standards.
2 days is not long enough to install CH *properly* that is with only the= rads and stub pipework showing. It'll take a day to get access to floor =

voids etc. Pipework around boiler naetly boxed in and box painted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well they did that, two days. No the boiler isn't boxed in and the boiler pipe work either goes into the ceiling or down behind the dishwasher. I don't have a kitchen unit to put there so there is some bodging to be done, eventually.

I am quite pleased as the warmfront guy did say they only pay for surface mounting.

As the engineer said (he was an engineer and not a plumber) "I am a professional, I don't do surface mount unless its the only way".

They also removed three old balanced flu wall heaters too just to add to the work load. And just to make life more difficult it was a Smith's house BTW.

There was nearly a c*ck-up that would have delayed it.. they had been sent the wrong pipe clips for the trunking, however I had a bag of 100 for a job I was doing so they used those.

Reply to
dennis

This does depend on the make and design to a large extent.

A quality make will not only have parts that tend to fail less often but also are prepared to set up a supply of spares sometimes at very low cost.

It is really wasteful to buy a cheap appliance especially a boiler. The cost of the boiler and fitting is less than the cost of the fuel it will use in its life time.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

This does depend on the make and design to a large extent.

A quality make will not only have parts that tend to fail less often but also are prepared to set up a supply of spares sometimes at very low cost.

It is really wasteful to buy a cheap appliance especially a boiler. The cost of the boiler and fitting is less than the cost of the fuel it will use in its life time.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So not completed *properly*.

Householder has to finish this "professional" job.

Which, in my view, is not doing the job properly.

Did they properly make good the holes in the walls? Both exterior and interior, the latter read for the application of decoration?

I don't know the relevance of that comment.

And this "professional" didn't check when loading the van? And on finding the discrepancy didn't stop off at a merchants enroute to get some.

Sorry, if I'm having work done it is done to my standards, without the use of my materials or tools. If they have to come back on another day well that is their look out, they should have done *all* aspects of the job correctly first time around.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you expect a CH installer to fit kitchen units then? Especially for free? Maybe you want to fit them for free instead?

That's what warmfront pay for.

I said he didn't, where do you get the idea he did?

They inserted bricks and plastered the inside. They didn't remove the old wall paper and apply new.

They did what they were paid to do and quite a bit more.

Reply to
dennis

Which heat recovery ventilation system did you use Mary ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard