Instant plumbing quote-a-matic please

Hi,

to do:

remove Baxi Bermuda fire and back boiler, hot water tank, loft tanks, and all radiators and hot and cold water pipes back to the stop c*ck. Replace main stop c*ck.

Install new boiler (presume Combi) and run radiators to all rooms, plus H&C to kitchen and bathroom. New programmer, thermostat, TRVs to all but one radiator.

[Possibly radiator or bendy copper pipe to heat airing cupboard]

3 bed semi.

Ball park how much ( to nearest £1,000)?

Some of the water pipes are iron, there is even some lead in there.

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

you want a combi in a three bed semi?

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Sorry, but.... 4,500+.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes that's about right down here on the south coast. May be cheaper up north. A friend of mine had pretty much that done but using quite a lot of the old pipe work for just under GBP4000 (Glowworm 30Ci + all new rads +TRVs etc - 3 bed detached)

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

I'd go with about 4 - 4.5k

This is based on work we had done in a 3 bed semi in Yorkshire: - removed baxi bermuda back bolier, hot water tank. (no loft tanks though)

- Installed Worcester Bosch Greenstar 35he.

- Replaced 3 radiators, moved an exisiting radiator, two completely new rads added. Used substantial amount of new pipe work on heating. Used all existing pipework on DHW.

- room thermostat added and TRVS on all new rads.

This lot was about 3k I think. Mind you it's several years ago and sometimes I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Some things that may affect the price:

- Access. How easy is it to get under the floors? Ours was early in renovation so they had cart blanche to cut carpets where they liked, lift flooring as neccessary. I'd already cleared furniture etc off of the most likely areas for them to need access to.

- Boiler location. If you want the boiler in the middle of the house there may be flue issues. I think that long flues are possible but it just adds unnessecarily to the cost compared to just sticking it on an outer wall.

On chosing a combi I can honestly say that our choice is ideal for the house as it is at the moment. If we were to extend and add a bathroom I may think about upgrading to a stored pressured system of some kind. As it stands though the 35he is more than capable of keeping the house at a lovely temperature, providing all the piping hot water we need even in winter and giving us a shower that makes you not want to ever get out.

Just an opinion.

--=20 Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

Corgi guy who re-commisioned out Baxi said 'about 4.5k' which made me twitch a bit.

If I have the time I could do all the pipework back to the boiler - hardly rocket science - and leave the Corgi guy to sort out the boiler (which may well be rocket science depending on how well he does it).

Solid ground floor (so all pipes on the walls) and boards upstairs (but no carpets as we flung them the first weekend).

However I am balancing my holidays against the cost of geting someone else to do it.

I am assuming a combi because it should be able to heat the radiators and supply one kitchen sink plus one shower over bath. The removal of loft tanks and hot water cylinder are benefits.

My mum-in-law manages very nicely in a 3 bed semi with a combi.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I will add the 'ball park' to our spreadsheet.

Cheers Dave R

P.S. It looks about £1,000 -> £1,500 of materials; is it really £3,000 worth of labour? Even at £500 per day that is six full days of work.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

This is more than six days work. I suppose it does matter how much reinstatement (of floors and walls takes place).

I would look carefully to see if the copper pipes to the exisating radiators is OK as a great deal of the time and effort will be spent there perhaps needlessly.

Reply to
Ed Sirett