Installing fan from inside - diamond core drill?

Hi,

I posted here recently regarding installing an extractor fan on a wall that was inaccesible from the outside. Somebody did reply with the idea of drilling the hole out from the inside using a diamond core drill and inserting a quick fix termination as listed on this page:

wondered if people would help with the following queries:

1) Has anyone used one of these vents? Do they work as they are supposed to and is there any chance of water leaking in despite the rubber seal?

2) What is the best idea for the diamond core drill - I know I can hire one but there seem to be some on the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation that can be used with a standard SDS drill - anyone got any experience of these or would hiring one be recommend?

3) As always, any futher tips/ideas/help/advice/money greatly received.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

If a diamond core drill DO NOT use hammer action. If you can't turn this hammer action off on your SDS drill don't bother trying to drill, you will damage the core drill.

TCT core drills (cheaper, results poor by comparison) can be used with hammer action.

ebay might be worth checking for a diamond core drill. I bought my

127mm core drill for £50 as I recall. High street price is double that.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

It's also not a lot of fun trying to drill a big hole like this with a machine that doesn't have variable speed and/or a safety clutch -- it tends to tie your arms in knots :-) The £45 1100W Screwfix Ferm job (back on sale again I see) is quite good for this as it has bags of torque and you can really push it through the hole instead of feeding it gingerly through to avoid stalling as you do with a lesser machine. The speed of cutting almost makes up for the 20 minutes it takes to get the bloody chuck to latch onto the SDS shank of the drill bit :-(

Oooh! nice!

High street price is double

at least, though there was someone in the corgi mag advertising a set of a (useful) range of sizes of dills + arbours in SDS and hex for something ridiculous(ly cheap)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, apologies for the ommission - I was hoping that just for once IMM or Dr Knowlittle (or whatever he is called these days) might just follow the advice I previously posted.....