Installing a hob but no oven

I've searched around but can't find a clear answer to this; apologies if the subject is covered somewhere.

In my new kitchen I'm thinking of having a built-in hob but no oven. The hob will be a small two-ring model, probably ceramic: the specs of a typical example (by Siemens) are given as Total load 2.9, Maximum current draw 12kw.

Does a hob like that require its own dedicated circuit? I assume it can't (or shouldn't) simply be connected into a general ring circuit. Does the hob have to be connected via a "proper" cooker point, or will a fused isolating switch leading to a cooker connecting plate be acceptable?

Many thanks,

Bert

Bert Coules

the specs you gave dont add up ? read them again.

2.9 what ? apples oranges 12kW sounds wrong to, is that supposed to be 1 . 2 kW ? regards bob
Reply to
burbeck

Are you *sure* you've got that right?

Total load 2.9 kW, Max current draw 12 A would be more reasonable.

A 12 kW load would require > 50A circuit. Such a hob would be very unlikely to be found in a domestic kitchen, especially a small one.

It should really have its own circuit, and you might as well install a

30A cooker circuit to allow for a future upgrade to a 4-ring hob at a later date.

It requires a double pole isolator within 2m of the hob. A FCU would be acceptable, but I think it would be better to use a 20A switch on a

16/20A MCB, or a 30A cooker switch on a 30A MCB. You can get 30A switches the same size as a double socket.

The cooker instructions might state a 16A circuit is required - that's common amongst European appliances. I'd suggest using a 16A MCB in that case, but using heavier cable to allow upgrade to a 30A circuit nonetheless.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The limit for connection to a ring is 13 amps. So multiply volts by amps for watts. 13 x 230 gives 2990 - let's say 3 Kw.

12Kw will draw - watts divided by volts - so 12,0000 ------- = 52 amps 230

That would suggest using 10mm cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Here are the specs, taken directly from the Siemens brochure:

Zone rating (kW): Front: 1.2 Back 0.7 - 1.2 Total connected load: 2.9 (obviously kW, though it doesn't actually say so) Maximum current draw (kW): 12

On re-reading it, I think there's a misprint in the brochure: it seems pretty obvious that the "kW" designation should appear at the head of the column for total load, not in the one for maximum current draw.

That makes the two-ring hob, as Owain suggested:

With that rather less scary rating, could the hob be connected into an existing 30A ring circuit, as long as it was via a properly rated isolating switch unit?

Thanks again,

Bert

Bert Coules

Owain,

As you might have seen from my earlier reply, I suspected that there was a misprint in the Siemens brochure. I think this is now pretty much confirmed: I just noticed that in the next column the weight of the hob is given as 5 Amps!

Bert

Bert Coules

If the hob is connected to a 30A ring circuit, it *must* be connected by a *Fused* Connection Unit with a 13A fuse.

However the loading on the ring circuit must be considered -- if the ring is already heavily loaded (kitchen rings usually are, with washing machine, tumble, dishwasher, kettle etc), it would be wiser to install a dedicated circuit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain,

washing

install a

Clearly, that's good advice. Thanks very much.

Bert

Bert Coules

IIRC, any appliance designed to be plugged into a normal 13 amp socket comes with a fitted lead and plug.

But I'd say a two ring hob will be ok to be plugged in.

2.9 kW equates to 12.6 amps at 230 volts, or 12 amps at 240 volts.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave,

It seems that way to me. I do take Owain's point about the total loading of the complete circuit, but I can't see many instances arising when I'd have both rings going full blast while simultaneously using a load of other relatively high-rated appliances (which I don't have room for anyway - which is why I'm installing only a two-ring hob...)

Oh, blow.

Bert

Bert Coules