Installing a gas combi boiler

Page 3 of 3

even

IMM wrote:

I look down on cowboy manual tradespeople, unfortunately I rarely come across the other sort.
"geoff" wrote | >Very true, I've come across many cowboys in IT. | Not for long, as all the IT will soon be being done by Indians
Well we know what Royalty thinks of Indian electricians :-)
Owain
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 06:45:42 -0000, "Kieran"

Computer programmers dont sound very exciting to me either.

That are not. Ask him how many trains he spotted this week?

Err EXCUSE ME !

--
geoff

"Kieran" wrote | That's an insane amount of money for such a small amount of work - | I'm a computer programmer
= code monkey if we're going to be insulting about occupations (and one who in your case should learn not to top post)
| I think I'll risk installing it myself - I have a feeling this | newsgroup is also known as the guild of plumbers.
There are people on this newsgroup who know considerably more than most members of any guild of plumbers, and who give their advice generously. Some of them probably know more about programming than you do too.
Owain

There is only one gas joint in my house which was done by someone other than myself, when the cooker was installed while I wasn't there. It was installed by A BG CORGI reg'd fitter, and it's the only one which was not done properly and had a leak. Unless I knew him, I wouldn't let a CORGI fitter through the front door
--
geoff

I had a gas engineer come to service my central heating combi boiler and whilst we were chatting, I mentioned that I could do with it moving to the other bedroom as the bedroom it was in was going to be converted to a bathroom. I asked if he could do it for me. He said he could but it would be cheaper if I did it my self and just call him in to do the gas feed. He knew I was competent at plumbing having seen work I had done previously. Some gas engineers though, say that you shouldn't even do any pipework whatsoever if it is connected to the boiler, including disconnecting radiators..... These I term as the robdog brigade..... morgan
14 years back my father and I installed our first complete central heating system. At the time we were concerned about running the gas supply piping because of all the safety issues always being directed at Joe Public, so we got British gas to do it. When the BG installers turned up they looked at all the other work we had done and asked why we hadn't just done the work ourselves! At the time BG were quite reasonable on price (I think). Not sure about the rest of the country but in London a corgi registered engineer will walk off with 80 for just opening a few screws on the boiler and banging a pipe with the handle of a screwdriver. Since I have always done the work myself. As long as you know you are competent in making sound pipe connections and do all the safety checks, go for it, you'll save a lot of money. Regards the boiler installation, getting the flue connected correctly is the most important part.
At the end of it you can always get a corgi registered installer to check it. Although there is no guarantee that even a corgi registered guy is going to do a proper job, IME.
Thanks, it's a relief to hear from someone with experience.

StealthUK wrote:

The flues on modern combis I've installed were a doodle to get right. The install instructions were very clear. (I guess they have to be for the average muppet that fits them)

I installed my 1st CH system >25 years ago. It was quite a common DIY thing then. There were books that told you how to do it. I reckon a conscientious and knowledgeable DIYer has every incentive to do a super safe job in his own home, its him who is going to be harmed if its done wrong. That why I started in DIY many years ago. I just wasn't satisfied with the quality of tradesmen's work. It seemed I always had to go round checking upon and correcting what they'd done. Just came across another example when I changed my fusebox to a CU. The neutral meter tail in the orig hadn't been tightened thoroughly by the installer when the house was new 22 years ago. Consequently the bakelite around the connection was all charred. This was not visible until I took the old box apart.