Immitation Makita's

Page 1 of 2
Just thought you might want to know that a firm has set itself up making look-alike Makitas. I bought a 24v drill with two batteries and two salient points hit me once I got over the price (£75.)
There was no guaranttee or instruction bumph and the batteries looked cheap (aka Blackspur.) Someone else pointed out that Makita's have the name embossed on the case. I should have hit on another: it was supplied with a set of driver bits that looked like they'd been made in a back-yard in India.
You can tell just by looking, that a set like that will last all of half a day if you never use them. Not the sort of thing Makita will supply at all. I must try them on a real job.
Quite a good looking tool (and possibly even by the original maunfacturer as a moonlighter.) The downside is there is no Makita warranty and they will break down sooner rather than later. On the other hand if they are quite close patterns then they aint toys.
Add pictures here
✖

No Makita warranty? I see that as a plus. I will not touch anything made by Makita because of their lousy/non existent after sales service (I am referring to Makita themselves, not their resellers who can be superb).
Howard Neil
Add pictures here
✖

by
They are rebadged NuTools. I have been offered them in Doncaster, Sheffield, Manchester and Blackpool. The sellers live in a caravan and will drive an Audi or Merc (I think you know who I mean)
Adam
Add pictures here
✖

Sheffield,
Yes, I know who you mean. That means that customer service will, at best, be on a par with Makita.
Howard Neil
Add pictures here
✖

Don't these "big name" firms operate like car manufacturers? They have franchised dealerships and train the dealers -which accounts for some of the high price of the tools.
Add pictures here
✖

Where did you buy it?
✖

A lad at work brought about half a dozen in along with a radial arm chop-saw that had a laser indicator for the blade. Loads of teeth in the blade too. He wanted £170 or so for that.
I could have my money back I suppose but I cooked 2 batteries on the cheapo 18v I already have. I find it is the charger that gives the trouble with these cheap tools. (I walked into the house I was charging the battery at and thought "Bloody hell what is that painter using?") (Meanwhile the painter was thinking: "What has that joiner been cutting?")
If I didn't have a pretty good chopsaw I seldom use, I'd snatch up the other at that price. Fiddling with the work-piece to get the pencil line at the cut, doubles the time spent on an ordinary chop-saw.
Add pictures here
✖

170 quid is a lot for a chop saw unless it's a quality make. See B&Q etc for cheaper ones also with lasers.
--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

✖
On 14 Jul 2003 22:37:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael McNeil) wrote:

We really must educate you in the ways of http://tinyurl.com ;)
A major problem with extended URLs is that you get line wrap in many newsreaders, making the URL unclickable. The tinyurl.com web site is brilliant at solving this problem.
Sorry, didn't mean to criticise but if you haven't heard of tinyurl.com before then it's worth making a note of it.
Andrew
✖
(Michael

01&langId=-1&catalogIde1&productIdI884&Trail=C$catgroup_id_parent880
The only thing I don't like about Tiny URL is you have no idea what domain you're going to. There have been cases of people creating tiny URLs to things which would quite possibly start the warning bells on a corporate firewall - I just like to know where I'm clicking. Too often I've seen people say: Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/WHATEVER with no description of what is meant to be there (let alone a domain name - though of course, with tinyurl you can put whatever description you want in the post and still point it elsewhere).
Personally, I would prefer to have to handle split line URLs than use tinyurl - putting both in would satisfy me...I think it is Make A Shorter Link which actually gives a bounce page which warns you where you're going - that would be okay for me too.
Just my thoughts on tinyurl
✖

If you put the ULR in brackets <http://joe.bloggs most readers should cope with split lines.
--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

✖

Taht particular link worked for me, but I've got used to looking on the end to see whats missing if the link doesn't work, and adding thalast digits by hand or C & P.
Perhaps some folks don't realise that a long link may wrap; ISTR it took me some time - now I prefer the manual approach
Mike R
Add pictures here
✖

They should indeed. and happily mine does :-)
But I believe a certain very common program doesn't like to follow such accepted standards so it's users have to suffer these problems......
--
Chris French, Leeds

Add pictures here
✖

Unwrapping Line Resolver?
All I can say to you is PAR.
--
*Rehab is for quitters

✖

This is a test of that idea which if it works is a good un:
<http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogIde1&productIdI884&Trail=C$catgroup_id_parent880>
I read directly from Google. Normally they are good with such things but they have suffered a few glitches lately. Now I'm off to the B&Q site to examine their cheapos. Speaking of which there is a chop saw in the Argos site for £15. It has a more powerful motor than the one I'm using at work which is ace for anything up to 4x3 -I think. I wonder what those will cut.
Add pictures here
✖
"Michael McNeil" wrote | This is a test of that idea which if it works is a good un: | <http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 0 01&langId=-1&catalogIde1&productIdI884&Trail=C$catgroup_id_parent880>
But much easier all round if you put www.argos.co.uk item number whatever.
Most people have the intelligence to put the item number in the Search box on the Argos website. It also gets round all problems of session-IDs and allows people to find it easily in the printed catalogue too.
Owain
Add pictures here
✖

<http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 0 01&langId=-1&catalogIde1&productIdI884&Trail=C$catgroup_id_parent880>
Today I was talking a man who very recently was a manager in a B&Q Warehouse. I asked him about the PP Pro range, which appears good value and decently made. He said he said many of the drill are made by Roybi, a very good make, and all PP Pro machines are made by good makers, that is why they have the confidence to give a guarantee of 3 years. I asked about returns because of failure of any description (not because Daddy didn't want one for his birthday), and he said no less than Bosch and the likes. They will honour the guarantee if a journeyman professional uses it, but not for continuous site work, or any work on a site or industrial installation. He said in most cases no one asks, unless the machine clearly has been abused.
BTW, Wickes are having a run on a 100 bar pressure washer for just under £35, with a 3 metre hose, lance, and detergent bottle, and a 2 year guarantee. A good deal. Appears to be a either a rebadged Karcher or Alti (sp?), and says made in the EU. The cheapo B&Q is at just under £40 and no extras, and I think a 2 metre hose, which is useless at that length.
✖

Since when has Ryobi been "a very good make"??? Unless you mean a good make for the price and origin (PRC)? IMHO Ryobi are way down the scale, certainly near the bottom. Very good makes are Makita, Panasonic, Festool, Metabo etc. When the Ryobi factories are churning out millions of tools per year for a cost of less than $10 US per unit, it's not hard to give a 3 year warranty. Rgds
Noel
noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
Add pictures here
✖

and
very
they
returns
for
He
abused.
Since when have they not?

Could be.

They are no NuTools that is for sure, and I rate them above B&D.

Toyota churn out cars by the millions and yet can keep quality up above Merc and BMW. Quantity does not mean poor quality.
✖

I suppose I am fairly happy with it. Not too happy with the vendor as he never came back to me with an appology or anything. He probably got hold of them with as much as he could afford, thinking like me, they were genuine. I suppose he can't really afford to reimburse me. Which bodes well for when it breaks!
Worse I just found out there is a trade supply shop not too far from me. I might have got an excellent alternative from there. I'll have a nose tomorrow. Nothing like having it bent over nowt is there?
I always thought Ryobi was in the top quality end of the scale.
Add pictures here
✖