How to remove a parked car

Yet everyone does it. There are countless drives like that around here. It is no more dangerous to anyone to drive over one than a dropped one.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Only if you're a stupid pedant. Most people are sensible enough to avoid parking in front of a DRIVEWAY, not a dropped kerb.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

-- =

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Nothing to do with danger. A dropped kerb implies that the pavement has been strengthened where it will be driven over, to protect the services underneath. Not the case where it's not dropped.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Utter bullshit. People park on pavements all the time. And pavements are at least as strong as my driveway.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Only in the snobbiest towns would anyone do anything about you driving over your own section of pavement. Why do you think those little ramps sell so well?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

You can drive across any pavement in order to gain access to the land behind it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, very obvious round here where the pavements are badly cracked where people drive over them. Driveways aren't cracked!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry but that's wrong.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This is one of those occasions when citizens should act, but surreptitiously so the authorities aren't forced to act. Have a word in the ear of the local cops, then late at night pull the car onto a transporter (smash the glass to release the handbrake and knock it into neutral) and take it away. The destination is your choice, but if it's left somewhere where it's causing an obstruction the council will remove it. A possibility is somewhere along a long straight narrow rural road.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Till they are told not to or fined for doing so as it's contrary to Section 72 of the highways Act 1835.

When I bought this house the previous occupants had been here *years* and because it was an EOT, had a garage in the back garden that they use to park their car in, regularly driving over the pavement to do so.

I had been here a few years myself when I received a letter from the Council informing me that it was illegal to drive over the pavement and I should desist doing so or ... pay to have the kerb dropped and proper crossover laid ... with accompanying white lines etc, which I did.

So, just because 'everyone' (and it isn't 'everyone' of course) does something, doesn't mean it is right.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

People that don't have off road places to keep a car shouldn't be allowed to have one.

Reply to
harry

It's not your pavement.

Reply to
harry

That's due to trucks driving on the pavement.

Reply to
harry

And yet another example of just how disconnected you are from the real world, up there in your subsidised (by us) ivory tower. Maybe part of taking the FIT from other electricity consumers is that you should hand over all of your spare parking to the rest of us? Fair's fair?

The Highways Act 1980, Obstruction of highways and streets:

"137 Penalty for wilful obstruction.

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine .. "

So, whilst there already is legislation that should prevent all roads from being free for two way traffic, the chances are that the authorities generally 'turn a blind eye' whilst the general population get's on with it and whist there are no accidents etc.

My mum used to sometimes park her car in a local side road (they had their own off-street parking but if they had visitors etc ... ) and it was 'accepted' they all parked the same side to keep the other side free / clear for (very local, just that crescent) traffic.

She leant her car to a friend who parked it back in the same road but on the 'wrong side'. It turned out a Fire Engine needed to get round, the Police were called and Mum got a fine for 'obstruction', along with all the other cars that were causing such (the friend paid the FPN for her of course).

Luckily, where we live the road is very wide so even with cars parked both sides, two lorries can still pass in the road with room to spare ... but that's not the case for many (most?) high roads in the UK!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite.

Here is someone who got it wrong:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The council do this around here, but seems not to work very well or my street would be devoid of cars.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you find one of those hazards while you are driving you take it to the tip. If it reappears you get the council to take it to the tip and issue a fine. There is enough litter about without little ramps being left about.

Reply to
dennis

What an ignorant twerp it is, to be sure.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think I remember hearing of that on the news (or something very like it). I think she was saying she had to go a long way round to get to the new car park but that's something that sometimes happens.

When I was working for BT my journey to / from work progressively got longer, not because either of us moved, but they blocked the top of my road and then built a bypass and because people were then using an alternative route (that made it about the same as it was for me at the beginning if I was on a bike) as a rat run, then blocked off even more roads to make the rat-run longer and therefore (hopefully) less worthwhile for those using it as such.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m