How to fix a heavy mirror

Been putting this off, but SWMBO is putting the pressure on. I have a fairly heavy oak framed mirror, which is to go over the fireplace.

I am not sure that nylon cord over 'J' hooks will hold in the long term, and was thinking of using those flush fixings that screw to the wall & the mirror and then interlock. Problem is, to ensure that they fit together, they will only take a No.4 screw. This is fine for the mirror plate, 4x No.4 1/2" will be fine.

Any suggestions as to what I use to fix the 'wall' plate? It will be fixed into concrete blocks so rawlplugs will be fine, only issue is that No4 screws are too small!!

Any suggestions as to how I can fix the mirror or the wall side of the flush fixing? To be clear, anything larger than a No.4 will stop the plates from locking together.

All ideas gratefully received.

TIA

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

Could you not countersink the holes a bit more so a larger screw will sit flush?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tried that on a spare, but the metal is too thin - I fear it would tear off the wall.

Reply to
salesguy

Use a french cleat:

see the movie at

have used something similar to fix numerous mirrors, cabinets, pictures and items of heavy furniture.

Reply to
Adrian Berry

I've always used standard 2" mirror plates. It means you have the "ears" sticking out at the sides, but they're easy to fix, and will take a size

8 screw. IMO mirrors should always be completely flat against the wall, rather than tipped forward like a picture.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

What an ingenius idea! Thanks for the link Adrian.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nah! If we did that in my house SWMBO would need to stand on a box to do her hair.....Can't have a ragged haired brunette now can we.