How powerful a generator to buy?

Either that or leave both generator phases floating and run extension leads to the appliances that need power and plug them in. But with floating phases you shouldn't really be running multiple appliances...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's precisely what I've done. The genny has an earth terminal which is internally connected to the earth pins on the output sockets. I have fitted a spade connector to this, and have a length of 12mm^2 earth cable, connected to an earth rod, and terminated with a suitable female connector in the location where the genny will be. It's therefore very quick to connect the external earth. The extension cable which plugs into the genny has an RCD incorporated into its plug.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I wouldn't call a freezer or a big fridge/freezer a "low power thing". They are also not nice resistive loads the invertor might object to the inductive load or, as with generators, have trouble starting it in the first place.

And of course once your battery is flat that's it. At least with a generator you can siphon fuel from your car or nip down to the local garage (assuming they have power...)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Up-thread, I confirmed that the Wolf does struggle to start our own large fridge-freezer, but that the generator always wins. That obviously can't be guaranteed for such appliances in general, but at less than £50 the OP may consider it worth a punt.

Reply to
Ian White

The message from Ian White contains these words:

Be careful if you've got an electronic CH programmer. Most of them are very sensitive to poorly-regulated power supplies at inaccurate frequencies and odd waveforms. Better to have arrangements to take it out of circuit.

Reply to
Appin

Another reason for having a larger generator and under running it than a small one that is struggling. The regulation (voltage and frequency) and waveform on a larger generator will be better; bigger alternator more copper in the windings, lower impedance; bigger engine more umph to maintain speed under load chnages.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice