How Noisy Should My Combi Be ??

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system was put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2 closed doors !!!!

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this must be obeyed - the manual says so?

thinking about boxing it in but can't see it making that much difference.

any suggestions - we have nothing to compare to coz we had warm air before and were looking forward to a quieter winter !!!!! no such luck :-(

Reply to
MiniEmma

At least you haven't got two of them. That would have been a lose-lose situation :-)

You will hear some noise from the fan, but nothing much more and it shouldn't be audible through two doors.

The pump?

You need to work out whether the noise is the pump or the fan

It sounds as though it is pump noise transmitted through the pipework.

If it's pump noise then not much.

I would contact the installer and get him to fix it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

yes the pump

yes i would say partly so

might speak to installer again but he's not much use on the finer points of boiler usage and has previously said the volume is right

i just emailed Worcester.

thanks

Reply to
MiniEmma

I would be interested in the reply. My new house has a Worcester cobi with a similarly annoying pump noise

Reply to
Paper2002AD

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Sounds like summats up somewhere. In my combi (which is nothing fancy) the pump is pretty much inaudible, the fan and the burner make more noise

Reply to
chris French

My daughter has a Worcester and that is very noisy, in particular when it fires up, which in normal usage is often. The installer reckoned it was normal, is that so?

Reply to
Broadback

Just got my reply from Worcester - the pump on the 28i Junior should NOT be that loud and they will send out an engineer FOC to change the pump.

BUT I don't have any proof that it was installed in june coz a friend installed it and didn't give us the grey/blue log book?? that we are meant to have with his details and corgi registration in. so gonna have to chase that up then i'll let you know the final result.

Reply to
MiniEmma

Do you or he have the purchase invoice? That would be proof of date....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

difference.

As a preliminary check (and not to be left beyond a very brief test period) try turning down the pump speed while listening to the level of noise. If it is the pump this should be immediately apparent. If its the fan then no effect will be noticed. As an aside I installed a Worcester Combi a couple of years ago and it had been shipped with a noisy fan. Worcesters changed it under warranty but the second was also noisy :-( The thrd was OK though.

Reply to
John

Thanks John

We had already tried your test and it is indeed the pump thanks also for your info - seems we are not alone.......

Now I just gotta sort out the squealing trv's !!!!!!

Reply to
MiniEmma

In message , MiniEmma writes

If you're talking about the pump, it depends on the size of your house (and the pump), but most often they are set to 2 (if there are three settings)

You haven't said what type of noise it is, it could be e.g. air in the pipes, the pump, the fan or even a poor squirrel trying to get out (having been driven out of someone else's loft.

You really need to tie down the source of noise if you want some constructive comments.

I'll hopefully be getting the same model in a few weeks, watch this space

Reply to
raden

In message , Paper2002AD writes

It shouldn't really be making any audible noise, unless you've got air in the system

Reply to
raden

In message , John writes

Maybe I should recondition the fan before I install the boiler ... just a thought

Reply to
raden

Just one?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oi !

snotty uni scum

/snip drivel

you obviously know nothing

... did I miss anything?

Reply to
raden

Small two bed end terrace 7 rads inc. towel rail pump set to 3 of 3, manual says it has to be

It's the pump and it's the normal droning noise you get from anything with a motor but it's loud enough to be heard through two closed doors

boiler installed at front of house downstairs pump noise can be heard in back bedroom upstairs with doors closed just as loud as our old warm air system >8(

It is definately the pump - as mentioned in an earlier reply and i have plenty of constructive comments thank you

Reply to
MiniEmma
.

win-win situation. ;-)

I'm not an armature?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you got two then?

Reply to
MiniEmma

No. Periodically there are threads where there are suggestions to fit two boilers when one has been shown to be inadequate.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Aha - I had a feeling it would be an in joke ;)

Reply to
MiniEmma