/How much/ - steel tubing :-0

Ok, need 2 pieces of steel tube 4" X 2" X 10' These are to go across the top of the garage walls to support some heavy loads I want to put up in the rafters, and I don't really want to use wood.

Steel stockholders have quoted =A3135.75 + VAT for 5mm wall thickness.

I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3", seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4' lengths at about =A320 a throw.

Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Isn't an RSJ or UB cheaper?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

| Ok, need 2 pieces of steel tube 4" X 2" X 10' These are to go across | the top of the garage walls to support some heavy loads I want to put | up in the rafters, and I don't really want to use wood. | | Steel stockholders have quoted £135.75 + VAT for 5mm wall thickness. | | I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3", | seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4' | lengths at about £20 a throw. | | Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or | suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Try the local scrap yards. I got a bit of girder quite cheaply, the only problem was that it had holes in it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Sounds like you're after "box section" then.

Try some other metal merchants, but you may need to make sure they'll deliver to you as that will be very heavy in 5mm wall.

Have a look at

also.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Go to an aerial suppliers these sell all manner of Steel&Aluminium poles.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3", seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4' lengths at about £20 a throw.

Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Cheers

Paul.

================ They're probably 'Catnic' lintels. Ask at you local builders' merchants for sizes, specifications and prices.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In article , snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com writes

You find that for a given profile shape that price goes up with weight so say

3mm will be 60% of the price of 5mm. If you can make do with a lighter section then go for it. Bet the B&Q stuff is a mm or less.

Maybe look at a trial install of superbeam to work out what you really need for the weight you will be looking to supporting.

As others have said, different profiles may be lighter (cheaper) for a given strength. I think the profile that looks like half an 'I' beam (bloody san serif fonts) (can't remember the proper name) is strong but easy to bolt to 'stuff'. What are you using for vertical support?

Reply to
fred

Not for going across a garage to hang heavy loads off!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Erm! the steel poles are equivalent to 'scaffolding', what sort of weight are we talking here as it really hasn't been mentioned, just "heavy load"?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The fundamental question is what load is this beam to take. Box sections are not particularly efficient when compared with I sections since a lot of the steel is not being used to advantage.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I was guessing at lifting an engine out of a car ... At a quick check a

3m scaffold pole will take about 100kg as a centre static point load.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

This to me suggest somethiing like...doors,wood,boxes of heavy stuff.

"support some heavy loads I want to put up in the rafters".

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If you are near Rochdale, I have a maybe 10ft ( I'm at work ) scaffold pole that will prob do for one of your supports, foc but you have to take it away. If interested I'll measure it at the weekend.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

Thanks for the thought and offer, but i'm in Hampshire.

Wasn't really looking at scaffold poles, due to the 'roundness' of them, whereas square or rectangular bar would sit on the wall quite happily.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Yes, the B&Q stuff is thinner than 5mm, but looks quite substantial nonetheless.

It was in the lintel section.

Don't really want to go less than 4mm wall thickness, to avoid bowing in the centre of the beam but will go and have a look for a small I section RSJ too.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

In message , snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com writes

Hi Paul,

if you're going to be looking on the web for suitable materials etc, it is easier if you know the terminology.

I can't claim to be an expert, I was sort of forced into understanding it by engineers drawings for loading calculations for our impending loft conversion.

For you and I, "Box Section" = SHS (Steel Hollow Section) For you and I, "C Section" = PFC (Parallel Flange Channel)

etc etc

UB also has its own sectional definition (AIUI it could be close to "I" section).

What we all used to call "box section", "I section", "C section" etc all now have their own posh names and acronyms.

If you Google for some of the acronyms you should find some suppliers (as I had to with these drawings for this loft). You should at least be able to find some price indications and know what you could be getting for your money, even it is OTT for your needs.

Hth

P.S. We should now both expect a flood of replies on here telling us my acronyms are wrong :-) Someone

Reply to
somebody

| Don't really want to go less than 4mm wall thickness, to avoid bowing | in the centre of the beam but will go and have a look for a small I | section RSJ too.

All beams bow under load. you meant "to avoid *too much* bowing"

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'd go for a secondhand RSJ or UB. The supplier will cut to length. Will be a bit OT but probably cheaper than a new box section.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup - SHS = Square hollow section RHS = Rectangluar hollow section etc...

Reply to
Phil

Yes, the B&Q stuff is thinner than 5mm, but looks quite substantial nonetheless.

It was in the lintel section. =================== Then it was probably a lintel, as I said in my earlier reply. Do a 'google' for 'Catnic lintels' and see if they're what you're looking for.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero