How long can I run my van without an alternator?

Bugger just failed. Tonights journey home took an hour (inc 15 minutes with the engine off at a level crossing) but with the headlights on for all the journey apart from the level crossing wait.

No heater on, no radio on and just an occasional use of the wipers.

It's a 65Ah battery in a diesel van and the battery still has some power in it now that I am back home - enough to restart the van without any problems.

The problem is I cannot easily get the alternator changed until Monday so the 8A battery charger will be on overnight and I need the van for the next

3 days. Recharging at work is not a problem.
Reply to
ARW

Ran my old diesel Volvo for about 2 hours begore the battery gave up. Five minutes from my destination, as well. Can you scare up a spare battery just in case?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'd have thought that running for 45 minutes with headlights on was pushing it... maybe the battery recovered a little at the level crossing.

Can't you source a new one locally ASAP and fit it yourself? Or knock off work early so it's still light.....

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

You will be soon up shit creek without a paddle.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Not for long. wifes car lost its headlights after less than an hour of being towed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Headlights are going to be the killer (although make sure no heated rear screen / mirrors etc are on). I would expect much over an hour would be pushing it with the lights on. (you will get considerably more time in the day)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but it takes 50 minutes to swap the battery:-(

On the plus side I do not need headlights in the morning to get to work and I am quite happy to do a rush hour crawl though a town centre with just the parking lights on for the journey home (I'll just switch the headlights on for the last 15 miles home).

The lack of a heater is not a problem as I am working outside all day.

Reply to
ARW

The level crossing was 5 minutes into the journey. I knew I was in for a wait as the gatekeeper told me there were three trains to pass.

Afraid not.

Reply to
ARW

The battery showed 12.02V when I started to recharge it. The van started OK at that voltage. However there is no need to restart the van between journeys to and from work so that helps.

Reply to
ARW

If you have a spare battery and a set of jump leads that might get you out of a fix if the worst comes to the worst..

Sure the Alternator is duff, not just a simple fan belt loss of tension?...

Reply to
tony sayer

And that is because the school holidays are our busiest times. Normally there is a spare van I could use.

I might also add I have no idea how to swap the alternator:-) - it looks like the power steering pump is bolted to it. I'll leave the swapping of the alternator to my brother on Monday morning. The worst case is using a VW Polo to get to and from work.

Reply to
ARW

Front wheel drive van?

Conventional filament bulbs would pull about 11-12 amps but halogens?

Cooling fan is on a huge fuse so must take a bit. Instruments? Who knows!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Now I can do that. And I do have very good set of jump leads.

Totally sure, it's whining like a posh bird who does not have tickets for Ascot.

Reply to
ARW

headlamps have used halogens for very long time. My 1972 Cortina had them -

55w each
Reply to
charles

Why did she need the headlights?

Reply to
ARW

Can't see how that helps in this case. So you start the engine with the jumpleads, disconnect them, and the engine will conk out soon after, if not immediately. Driving along with jumpleads connected sounds like a good way to end up with a fire in the engine compartment when they fall off.

That could be a bearing or slipping belt, but doesn't mean it's not generating (although it probably won't last long like that).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No idea about a modern common rail diesel, but on a petrol fuelled vehicle a couple of amps is a typical standing electrical load, with a fully charged battery in good condition a couple of hours running using headlights is achievable if you don't need the ability to restart. Made occasional bursts of the heater blower to keep the screen clear and sometimes used the radio. (BTDTGTTS)

Stick a clamp ammeter suitable for DC round a battery cable and guess your range :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

Headlights are the main load, 55w ea is around 10A, plus around 1A for rears. ISTR mechanical ignition eating a few amps. 15A 65Ah is 4hrs if fully charged. Its longer than a car because of the battery capacity.

A spare battery will help, plus parking it on a hill so you can bump start it. The average petrol tranny is push startable on level ground, I don't know about diesel. If you've got to preheat it, that'll drain the battery fast.

If you break down away from home, towing is pricey these days, just about no-one is willing to use a tow rope any more, everyone wants to trailer it. I've done enough towing to understand why.

If you end up moving it when the engine conks out, don't forget 95% of the brake effort is powered by the engine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Drop it in a local place near work (Kennington I assume) and let them fix it in the day?

Reply to
Tim Watts

True, you're better off fully charging 2 batteries, reconnect one and keep the other in the back (with tools) to swap over when the first one gives up. Should be able to charge them both overnight for the morning run, then charge them both (if needed) at work for the trip home.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8