How few plugs in the house where you were raised?

1 for the telly. Other electric items plugged into the light pendant. No bathroom and 1 cold tap in the kitchen

people raised in caves or tents not invited.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur2

No plugs No stove No inside tap Toilet 100 ft down the garden No gas No hot water No bathroom

And it wasn't a cave, just an old NCB stone built house and we finally had a bathroom, inside toilet, back-boiler and the electrics sorted in 1965.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I remember those switched 2 way adaptors so you could have a light bulb and a bayonet plug powering something in the light pendant .

Useful for Xmas lights.

Reply to
robert

What, you had a TELLY? Luxury.

David

(here we go...)

Reply to
Lobster

1 x 5amp socket only. That served for 2 bar fire/ Christmas tree/radio and TV when they came along. Luxury, we had an oversink electric water heater - it had one of those early neon warning lights, the type that plugged into a lamp holder.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wow Think we must have been posh had a Wylex plug in front room with adaptor plug for mums standard lamp. Iron pluged into light in kitchen and WE had Redifusion !! A magic box on the kitchen window that got radio stations. Could even hear it in the outside loo in the back yard . CJ

Reply to
cj

We used to live in t'hole in road....

(you started it).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

First house I ever bought was somewhat dilapidated - OK it was a wreck. Outside toilet, cold tap in kitchen. Those old round pin sockets.

First thing I did was the get the electricity board round to check it out.

Little bloke checked a few bits with a meter, gave sharp intake of breath & cut off the supply there & then! Left one trailing socket as a builders temporary supply.

Rewired the place myself, installed gas central heating, built a bathroom on - things were simple then! BCO popped round occasionally, signed off stuff he hadn't actually seen but knew I'd do right.

Mind you, got this working class lad on the housing ladder - and gave me the basics to start TMH nearly 30 years later.

We made us own fun in them days...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

.... and in t'meantime you graduated from playing in t'colliery band to pulling rabbits outuv 'ats.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Arthur2 writes

I think the farmhouse was *modernised* in 1938 when my father came in as a tenant. Probably one 15amp round pin socket in each room, cooker outlet and immersion heater all radial and fed from a re-wirable fuseboard. Say seven in all. I too remember the switchable twin outlet bayonet light fittings.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The house I was brought up in was bought new by my parents in '36, and they specified one 15 amp 2 pin in each room - so you could use electric heating. A 5 amp one was added to the living room shortly afterwards for a radio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My parents had their bungalow built in 1938/39, completed in March 1939 the plan was to have electrickery installed soon after. Then war broke out, don't you know, so we went all through the war and until some time after before we could have it installed. I remember my Mother getting very upset because her cakes did not turn out right in the electric oven, previously she had cooked with a tin oven heated by a couple of paraffin lamps. She would have gone back to that but Dad had binned it! Even when installed very few sockets, most things ran off one of the light sockets!

Reply to
Broadback

IIRC the upstairs bedrooms in our 1953 house didn't (all) have ANY sockets at all!

There was a landing socket that the hoover plugged into.

Somewhere along the line more were added.

In the days when a valve radio cost a small fortune, so there was only one, and nothing but lights used electricity..apart from them new fangled hoovahs, what need for more?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably around four or five doubles in every room. Only bulbs plugged into the pendants. One cold tap in the kitchen (next to a hot one).

Why? ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Telly? Modern were you?

Standard fit - one 5A round pin in cupboard under stairs, one similar on landing upstairs.

Reply to
Peter Parry

================================== Some people had strange ideas about those radios.

An elderly neighbour sometime in the 1950s told me that "they" couldn't find him to make him pay his Wireless Licence fee because he never turned the volume up high on his wireless set. As far as I know they never did catch him.

Some years later the ubiquitous portable (and mass produced) transistor radio probably killed off the Wireless Licence because it was impossible to trace them effectively.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Two: one two pin socket in the living room for telly & radio and one

13A in the kitchen. None upstairs, but one of those adaptors in the light pendant for hoovering.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Road? Road? You 'ad a road to put 'ole in?

Certainly not chapel, see.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Arthur2 writes

The 3 bed semi I bought just 20 years ago only had three sockets in the house, one in the back living room, one in the kitchen, one upstairs on the landing. No socket in the front living room or in any of the bedrooms.

Reply to
bof