How raised is raised

We are ready to till up our garden, and want to raise it in beds or platforms so us old people don't have to bend over so much. Is it practical to raise them to desk level, or is just a foot or two sufficient? I would think that whatever you made the raised bed from would rot from water and gook within a few years. And then, if you use cinderblock or cement, you're talking high cost and a lot of skilled labor.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

g'day steve,

why till at all if you are going to do raised beds?

you can make them as high as you like almost, maybe for you around 2' to 3' tall depending on those who are going to use them.

keep the beds to about 3' wide.

we have pic's on how we do our beds on our site they may give you some ideas?

corrugated roofing makes for good sides not sure what roofing you have over there but any metal shet roofing might do, but you could use any materila you may get locally look in the demolition yards maybe? the beds probably aren't going to be cheap to set up due to the height you want but once done that is it then. the corrugated stuff is popular over here seems to last quiet a while.

the ones here are all premade beds just sit them on the ground and fill them, but for me i'd prefer loose sheets and galvanised star pickets, so if a sheet did corrode out then it would be easier to eitehr replace or fit another sheet over it.

blocks will cost because you need to lay a foundation first so they don't fall over.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:43:16 -0800, "SteveB" wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Reply to
len gardener

Thank you for another fine idea. I am going to pick up some 22 ga. corrugated metal tomorrow from a local Fabral plant. I can get all the scraps I want. Tomorrow, I will be picking up 8' lengths for a lean to shade. But I can have them trim them to most any length, and a bunch cut to length would be mighty handy.

Thanks again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB