How do heavy metals dissolved in water

I have got a question that how do the heavy metals dissolve in the water on molecular level like what kind of bonding occurs. what are the ways (not chemically or chemical reaction) that we can separate these metals from water.

Reply to
param

Good A level chemistry book, when has your homework got to be in by ?

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

As salts almost certainly.

E.g. lead acetate or some such.

Many ways to extract, depending on scale of operation and purpose of it ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some metal ions form adducts with water, for example the cuprous ion is colourless when anhydrous. If memory serves it hooks onto six water molecules of water and becomes blue. A great deal depends on the other dissolved substances in the water. Salt water rots most metals, especially if dissimilar metals are in contact, setting up an electrochemical cell. Even differential oxygen content can achieve this. As you have ruled out chemical methods, you really need to double-distil it.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

That's the stock reply on sci.chem too :-) Do chemists have a magic circle?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Fri, 02

Of course we do !!, never works with regard to salary though .

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

The usual cheap way to achieve removal of unwanteds in water in the home is by a water purifying system, possibly employing Reverse Osmosis as one of the stages. For some particular problems, there exist specific filters to remove that problem - e.g. Nitrate filters are commonly used in East Anglia due to the high levels of fertilisers (nitrates) reaching the tap water which are not easy to remove by the water company and not essential to remove from most water supplied (toilet flushing / garden watering etc) There exist a few companies distributing such systems and I am sure a Google would turn them up.

We have a system installed and its amazing how different the water actually looks and tastes - vegetables taste more as they should and tea/coffee/whisky tastes completely different, and all the unknowns are being removed when they turn up.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith